Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

River goby id. request

Started by elbuzo ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

River goby id. request

5 posts
  1. I found a beautiful river goby ( sicydium sp. ) in a mountain stream close to shore in the south coast of Dominican Republic.

     

    These gobies born at sea and at some early stage of their life they run up-river in big groups like a migration ( i saw it in a documentary some time ago but don't remember which one ) , that only occurs in a couple of days every year .A remarkable feat for such a small fish ( about 2.5 inches long ) to be at that place , considering the strong current and cascades they need to pass .

     

    The pics are from male specimens , females are much less colorful .

     

    Any help will be appreciated

     

    Regards

    post-2893-1316543097.jpg

    post-2893-1316543114.jpg

    post-2893-1316543153.jpg

  2. Really nice shots! I don't know much about these guys (not my specialty), but I will forward your pics to a specialist. Do you have photos of the female too?

    Edited by Rocha
  3. Really nice shots! I don't know much about these guys (not my specialty), but I will forward your pics to a specialist. Do you have photos of the female too?

     

    I only photographed the males but i will return to that place by the end of this month and i will take some pics of the females. They feed scrapping the rocks with their ventose-like mouths , maybe this info help to id .

     

    Thanks for your help.

  4. Alright, ID confirmed, Sicydium plumieri, but the color in this guy is just amazing!

  5. OK noted

     

    Thank you Luiz

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.