Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

nudibranch red sea

Started by glamourpuss ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

nudibranch red sea

9 posts
  1. I came across this little guy on a night dive last week in the Southern Red Sea. Couldn't find him in any of the books. He was only about a 2cm or so long, so could be a juvenile that will change colors into something more recognizable later, but not sure.

     

    Anyone got any ideas?

     

    6168751952_9f4cc893b6.jpg

  2. I came across this little guy on a night dive last week in the Southern Red Sea. Couldn't find him in any of the books. He was only about a 2cm or so long, so could be a juvenile that will change colors into something more recognizable later, but not sure.

     

    Anyone got any ideas?

     

    6168751952_9f4cc893b6.jpg

    It looks more like a flatworm - possibly unidentified.

  3. I can't find it in any of my reference books. It may be worth sending to Bernard Picton who is the Curator of marine invertebrates at National Museums of Northern Ireland - bernard.picton@nmni.com

  4. Found a similar one here in Malaysia few weeks back.

    But the color is different.

    My bet, it is a flatworm.

     

    p9096234.jpg

    By meyrmayfire at 2011-09-21

  5. Yes, it's a flatworm. Nudibranch books will not be helpful.

    :-)

  6. That one looks kind of close scubamarli, but not quite sure.

  7. Got an email back from Bernard Picton, and he also has no idea what kind of flatworm it is.

     

    Yes, it is certainly a flatworm, but I’ve no idea what species it is, I can’t find it on any website. These Polyclad flatworms often mimic nudibranchs. Many of them don’t have names yet.
  8. That's pretty much what I expected. My guess is that there are as many undescribed species of flatworms as there are described ones --- maybe more.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.