Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New Category For The Other Interchangeble Lens Camera

Started by Deep6 ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

New Category For The Other Interchangeble Lens Camera

17 posts
  1. Anybody game?

    Bob

    Edited by Deep6
  2. needed needed needed.

     

    I and others have asked in the feedback forum. And in PMs. Let this happen now, please.

  3. Where we should post topics on mirrorless camera? And a Panny GH2 is it a consumer or a DSRL?

  4. Where we should post topics on mirrorless camera? And a Panny GH2 is it a consumer or a DSRL?

     

    Well, technically, it's not a DSLR.

    If you've watched the trend here, mostly the NEX threads are in the DSLR forum and the Micro 4/3 are in the consumer forum.

    There has been some deviation from that, but in general that's how it's gone.

     

    I agree, there is need for a new category. Or, rename DSLR forum to ILC (Interchangeable Lense Camera).

    Edited by chris_l
  5. If you've watched the trend here, mostly the NEX threads are in the DSLR forum and the Micro 4/3 are in the consumer forum.

    There has been some deviation from that, but in general that's how it's gone.

     

    I saw but it's wrong. nex, gf, g, gh, epl, are all mirrorless camera with the gh1-gh2 more similar to a real DSLR having the (electronic) viewfinder

     

    I agree, there is need for a new category. Or, rename DSLR forum to ILC (Interchangeable Lense Camera).

     

    I completely agree

  6. Well the Sony A77 is not really a DSLR but is not a consumer digicam by any means and the Sony NEX-7 has a steller EVF and image quality as high or higher than almost every current DSLR which hardly makes it a consumer camera. I think the interchangeable lens camera category makes more sence than a mirrorless camera category.

  7. I think it should be a new category dubbed "Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens" (wow, that's a mouthful).

     

    Undoubtedly all cameras will be ditching the mirror at some point and will move over to this new forum, but then the DSLR category would still be viable as the film category is today. It will likely be at least 5 years until all the majors have moved entirely to mirrorless.

     

    In the meantime, I believe it should have it's own category because it really is a different animal. Most of them will use the LCD for focus, not a viewfinder. Most of them will use optical strobes. Most of them will use a much different lens set from traditional DSLR. Most will use different dome sizes than traditional DSLR.

     

    Yes, yes there is some commonality, but it really is the first big new thing in cameras since DSLR and in my mind deserves it's own category.

     

    JP

  8. I think the mirrorless cameras have established themselves as a third "type" of camera and have a substantial base of users. They do not neatly fit into either the dslr or point and shoot category. It would be appropriate to give them their own category.

  9. Yes small mirrorless cameras are different. I like the EVIL name Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens. That rules out Sonys like Phil mentioned and older prism types.

  10. Anybody game?

    Bob

    We have only 25 votes with 23 Yes and 2 nos. Not enough interest to petition for a new category.

    Bob

  11. We have only 25 votes with 23 Yes and 2 nos. Not enough interest to petition for a new category.

    Bob

     

    It's a shame that the proposed new category will not be taken in account.

    I believe that a clear category for the mirrorless camera would help to find relevant contents in the forum.

  12. We have only 25 votes with 23 Yes and 2 nos. Not enough interest to petition for a new category.

    Bob

     

     

    Could you enlighten us as to site statistics like number of accounts, number of accounts with greater than 20 posts, average number of users logged on?

    I'm trying to understand if 25 votes is significant or not.

    What number would have made it enough?

  13. Could you enlighten us as to site statistics like number of accounts, number of accounts with greater than 20 posts, average number of users logged on?

    I'm trying to understand if 25 votes is significant or not.

    What number would have made it enough?

    Ok, now it is 31 votes with ~ 90% in favor of a new category for not DSLR with interchangeble lenses. I agree with M43User; doh! I started this topic. I don't think comparing a topic thread to a category is meaningful; only 31 readers cared enough to vote out of 531 views.

    Bob

    Edited by Deep6
  14. Ok, now it is 31 votes with ~ 90% in favor of a new category for not DSLR with interchangeble lenses. I agree with M43User; doh! I started this topic. I don't think comparing a topic thread to a category is meaningful; only 31 readers cared enough to vote out of 531 views.

    Bob

     

     

    Ok, I thought you were a moderator asking that question.

     

    But, again, how many votes does the average poll get here?

    This might be an overwhelming response.

  15. Hi folks

     

    I don't think that there is actually any debate about the need for a forum for EVIL cameras, certainly I think there should be!

     

    The issue is more practical-we are and have been redesigning the site for some time. It is taking far more time than we hoped or anticipated. The inclusion of new forums further complicates the migration of data onto any new design, and this is the reason for the reticence.

     

    May I beg yet more patience while we get things sorted please. We do not have an implementation date for the new design yet, but I'm sure when we get it up, it will incorporate an EVIL forum!

     

    Adam

  16. GREAT.

     

    Thanks Adam.

  17. Hi folks

     

    I don't think that there is actually any debate about the need for a forum for EVIL cameras, certainly I think there should be!

     

    The issue is more practical-we are and have been redesigning the site for some time. It is taking far more time than we hoped or anticipated. The inclusion of new forums further complicates the migration of data onto any new design, and this is the reason for the reticence.

     

    May I beg yet more patience while we get things sorted please. We do not have an implementation date for the new design yet, but I'm sure when we get it up, it will incorporate an EVIL forum!

     

    Adam

    That should quite the nattering nabobs (like me). Thanks for the update Adam.

    Bob

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.