Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Setup Testing

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Setup Testing

2 posts
  1. There are many threads on this site showing the benefit of testing the flash/picture taking of camera and strobes once setup is complete and prior to reaching/entering the water. Simple things like leaving the lens cap on, forgetting to connect the hot shoe in some housings, etc. Simple to correct prior to diving, impossible to correct once underwater. I learned a new one last Sunday.

    I was pool testing my newest purchase - a snoot. Once at the bottom of the pool, I discovered none of the controls on the back left side of my D90 would work. I could not review the previous image nor bring up the Menu. It was a bit frustrating but since I was only practicing on plastic fish, the frustration was limited.

    Upon returning home and having it all dry, I could remove the back and manually work the buttons. Put the back on, it all looked perfect but the housing buttons would not fully depress the camera buttons on the left side.

     

    I removed the camera, put it back in, put on the back, and all was perfect again.

    Apparently, there is a slight amount of alignment flexibility that can prevent these buttons from working.

    Just another reminder...do not just confirm focus/flash/strobe work in the hotel/on the boat, etc prior to getting to the water, also test the important buttons/knobs/switches to make certain it all works.

     

    We can learn by others mistakes or insist on learning it the hard way. So there is my most recent lesson. Hope it helps.

    dave

  2. I agree!!! Something similar happened with me the first time taking my Aquatica D90 into the sea. After successfully testing it in the pool, I opened it up and greased all the o rings,closed it up and took it into the sea the next morning without testing the buttons. Whilst diving I was unable to change the aperture or shutter speed for the duration of the dive which meant that I was just swimming around with a clunk of metal to not disrupt everybody else. I was actually quite nervous that it was going to start flooding. When checking what went wrong afterwards, I had forgotten to latch the saddle down which meant that the camera shifted and was leaning on the ISO button rendering the other buttons useless. Luckily this was just a test dive in murky Qatari waters and lesson learnt before using it in the Philippines …where I left the lens cap on one occasion!!

     

    Edited by johnjvv

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.