Hi
I’ve decided to upgrade from my old Olympus C8080 in an Ikelite with 2 X DS50 strobes to a D7000. Cost constraints, my existing DS50’s and a happy relationship make Ikelite the obvious housing, notwithstanding ergonomic or other benefits from other housings. I apologise for the many questions but having studied a lot on this I’m now totally confused ![]()
I dive mostly in quite surgy water and focus speed is right up there with my requirements. My current set up is very bulky for a P&S so I’m reasonably comfortable with the size upgrade but obviously have a lot to learn about DSLR having never even owned one for land.
1 To keep costs low I’m thinking of 1 lens only at this stage and the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM seems a good choice as I take mostly take fish portraits but like the macro ability. The Ikelite lens port site states that “Lens diameters are too large to operate in port system”. Elsewhere they state max diameter is 84mm and Sigma states Diameter X length of 79 - 88.9mm. This lens will probably require a +2 close up lens.
Does anybody have first hand knowledge of this lens in Ikelite ports? Does it fit? Which port body and dome do you use? Should/Could I just start of with a flat port?
2 For very little extra I can get the Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX kit lens. This lens requires a +4 close up lens. I have read here that this lens does not have much favour for underwater (my almost only camera use).
Is it worth saving the money now using this lens and upgrading later? Which port body and dome do you use?
3 Ikelite’s modular port and dome page refers to the 5510.45 Dome Assembly as an “injection moulded acrylic 4" radius dome” but elsewhere it’s referred to as 8”.
Which is correct?
4 Underwater Camera Stuff’s 5” dome seems like a nice compact solution if above dome is 8”. It’s not listed for either of these lenses.
Does anybody know if this will work for either lens?
If it won’t work my preference would be a 6” dome for compactness, how much am I giving up vs 8”?
5. Eventually I will also get a wide lens probably a Tokina 10-17mm AT-X 107 AF DX that can also use a 5” 6” or 8” dome. Why, except for cost is this lens more popular than a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 AT-X 116 PRO DX. On paper it seems faster and here is little lost in width?
Thanks in advance
David