About a week ago my dive buddy Jim Copher plus a few friends made the trek to the Port Hardy area of Vancouver Island where we dove in Browning Pass for a few days. Despite some typical dive travel setbacks (such as a flooded video housing, a torn and flooded dry suit, and the occasional bad weather) we still managed to get in some great diving.
There's lots of marine life in the area, and vis was decent. Here's a link to a video short showcasing the diving we did last week at Browning Pass.
Nice sharp imaging. What are you shooting with? Any idea on the cause of the housing flood?
Steve
Nice sharp imaging. What are you shooting with? Any idea on the cause of the housing flood?
Steve
Thanks, A Sony HC7 in a Gates housing. Some shots using a Fathom lens, others using a Century Optics diopter behind a flat port. The housing flood was totally my fault, rushing too fast to swap out a camera batter between dives and I failed to visually confirm the oring seal when closing the housing. I belive a strap from the camera got caught in there, or the o ring slipped out and i didnt notice. Likely the latter. I'm happy with Gates products and their service. This one was totally my fault.
My one time flood was in Tahiti in 2004. I was using a Sony 2000 SD cam in a Gates housing and had just bragged about never having a flood. I was also rushing and the elastic lariat got caught between the back plate and housing without my noticing or feeling it when I closed the clamps. Two inches down was all it took. I still have the now deceased 2000 ,which makes a wonderful doorstop, as a reminder of my hubris and plain stupidity. We all make errors but at least you got some excellent footage.
Steve
I head up to Browning Pass in the morning! Really excited to make this annual pilgrimage! Thanks for sharing the excellent video, it has really inspired me to set aside the SLR and practice some more with my Sony CX550. I am really impressed by your work and will be dreaming of Dolphins tonight.
Steve: basically the same sort of thing happened to me. Rushing and not taking sufficient care when closing it up. I had a 2nd backup camera which also fit the housing, so all I lost was one dive.
Thanks Dave, have fun. Post some video soon. I'll be posting more Browning pass video in a few weeks.
It's really nice to see video of that wall. I spend so much time shooting and neglecting to take a step back and see the whole thing. Thanks for sharing and I'm envious you saw the Dolphins. Very cool.
Rand
Vero cool to get the dolphin interaction. It has been a few years since we have a found the right opportunity to get in with them.