Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

a yoghurt nudibranch

Started by vasa ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

a yoghurt nudibranch

6 posts
  1. a yoghurt nudibranch

    I have been trying to find an id for this guy for almost a year.

    I tried both seaslugforum and medslug sites already, they all silent about my quiry.

     

    Can anyone please help?

     

    Thanks in advance

  2. Where was this taken? Helps to narrow the choices!

    Marli

  3. It was taken at Dumaguete, Philippines in May 2003.

    I name it yoghurt nudi because it looks like yoghurt icecream to me :lol:

     

    If nobody have found it before, do you know where I can register this guy under my name? I only found him once. My evidence is only 2 slides film.

  4. Hi again,

    This appears to be a Hypselodoris or possibly a Noumea. I have searched through every source that I have, with no exact match. Hypselodoris emma, (named for Bill Riuman's daughter) has some similarities. Not to disappoint you, but new species of nudibranchs are found all the time. Check the unknown species link under topics on the site where species sit awaiting an expert's opinion. I've had one from Lembeh Straight sitting for a year and a half with no ID. That's one of the things that make these critters so fascinating. Be patient with The Slug Forum. Dr. Rudman is probably checking with other experts before he posts your image. He does have a real job too, and gets dozens of posts every day. As for naming it after yourself, no such luck. A scientist has to dissect 2 specimens, and describe it. They may choose to name it after the discoverer, but could just as soon name it after their cat, which has been done with a nudibranch: Sclerodoris tanya. The scientist may be unaware of who the first person to see it was, and name it after someone they think saw it first, which happened with the new Pygmy seahorse, Hippocampus denise. There were others that had seen it, photographed and published it, but the photographer that showed the scientist the seahorse got the honour.

    Hope someone knows what this gorgeous creature is, or at least sees this, and names it after you eventually.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.