Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica 8 vs 9.25 inch dome?

Started by leighdu ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica 8 vs 9.25 inch dome?

3 posts
  1. Currently im using the Tokina fisheye zoon with a minidome on my D7000, and i love it though i miss the split shots with my old ikelite 8 inch dome.

    I was looking into a larger dome and was wondering if the 9.25 is that much better than the 8 inch to justify twice the price.

    I read once before it was good for very wide angle on FF cameras, i will be only really using the Tokina 10-17 and occasionally Sigma 10-20mm on a DX sensor.

     

    Also weight is an issue for me, traveling, how much extra does the 9.25 weigh over the 8 inch?

     

    Or any other dome possibilites for my Aquatica housing.

     

    Thanks guys

  2. Currently im using the Tokina fisheye zoon with a minidome on my D7000, and i love it though i miss the split shots with my old ikelite 8 inch dome.

    I was looking into a larger dome and was wondering if the 9.25 is that much better than the 8 inch to justify twice the price.

    I read once before it was good for very wide angle on FF cameras, i will be only really using the Tokina 10-17 and occasionally Sigma 10-20mm on a DX sensor.

     

    Also weight is an issue for me, traveling, how much extra does the 9.25 weigh over the 8 inch?

     

    Or any other dome possibilites for my Aquatica housing.

     

    Thanks guys

     

    I searched these forums for just that answer and came to these conclusions. So I went with the 8 inch poly dome.

     

    the 8 inch is made out of poly, it's easier to repair scratches and even if it has some small scratches they fill in with water and you don't notice them unless they are gouged really bad. And, it's cheaper.

     

    The 9.25 is made from glass and scratches are harder to repair and they show up more in your images. It's heavier and cost more. The heavy part might be okay though, I had to weight my poly dome to get my rig trimmed right.

     

    Which is better optically I don't know but would have to guess the glass one.

  3. I have both and can't tell you if the glass give me a better quality image u/w ! . I used both with the D300/10-17mm

     

    What i can notice is that with the 9.25" glass dome i have better splits images . My 8" acrylic seems to be more prone to have water drops in the middle of the pics ( i guess that water repels a lot easier from a glass surface than from acrylic one) .

     

    Cons of the glass dome are obvious : bigger, heavier and way more expensive .

     

    The acrylic scratch very easily .

     

    Hope this helps to make your decision

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.