Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Anemone Question

Started by bmorescuba ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Anemone Question

4 posts
  1. Going through photos from my recent trip to Grand Cayman, I found this shot. I hadn't even paid attention to the anemone when I snapped it - too busy trying to get close to the Pederson Shrimp without touching anything. But now that I look at it more closely, I don't recognize the anemone species. I thought at first it was a Sun Anemone (of which I have seen many). However, now I'm wondering if maybe it's a Beaded Anemone instead (which I don't ever recall seeing). Thoughts?

     

    9/21/2011/Black Forest, Grand Cayman/~50fsw

     

    Sorry the picture isn't better. Thanks for any help!

     

    post-24977-1317776480.jpg

  2. It is a Branching anemone: Lebrunia danae.

    Cheers,

    Marli

  3. It is a Branching anemone: Lebrunia danae.

    Cheers,

    Marli

     

    Thanks Marli! I hadn't even thought about the Branching because the photos I've been able to find of the Branching don't seem to have the larger oral disc in the middle - at least not visible. But now I see that the tentacles in my photo are in fact forked like the samples of the Branching I've found. I wonder - do the forked or "branching" tentacles give this species its name?

     

    Anyway, thank you so much - I just visited your website and your photos are stunning. I love the fact that they all have identifications as well. That really adds to the value for me personally. I think I just spent an hour of work time browsing Nudis!

  4. Thanks for your kind comments. Glad to be of help.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.