Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

S2 settings in JPG mode

Started by Chris Bangs ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

S2 settings in JPG mode

2 posts
  1. S2 settings in JPG mode

    Hello

     

    At last I am back in the water and once again active on wetpixel!

     

    I photograph vacationing divers. Due to the VERY limited time I have to deliver the goods on a CD, RAW mode is out of the question. My first project shot in JPG mode produced dull greenish results and even though I used dual SB-104 flashes ( 1/4 to full ) power, the skin tones were very drab!

     

    I ended up spending several hours making quickie corrections to the images.

     

    I used the Nikon 16 mm therefore the divers were usually between 3 and 5 feet from the camera. Exposure was right on, just poor color, both in tone and saturation.

     

    Is there something I need to do like adjust the white balance in order to get reasonably accurate colors?

     

    Diving for food!

     

    Chris

  2. Hi Chris,

     

    One popular technique is to use a weak magenta gel behind the fisyeye lens. Then do a manual white balance on sand or a white card to get a nice pleasing color.

     

    But you'd better get that manual white balance right in the water if you intend to shoot JPEG, or you'll be spending a lot of time in Photoshop.

     

    HTH

    James

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.