Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

St. Croix crab ID

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

St. Croix crab ID

3 posts
  1. Saw this little guy on a night dive under the Pier on St. Croix in roughly 10-20 ft of water. Unfortunately, this is my only photo of him. As soon as I flashed the pic, he scurried out of reach.

    When I took the photo, I thought it was a hermit crab peaking out from underneath. But when he went to scurry away, I realized he has an eye on the other side, matching the one visible.

    His is about little fingernail size.

    we saw quite a few decorator crabs...wondering if this is another variation of one.

     

    6220834001_c5e9a458e1_z.jpg

  2. Seems to be a decorator crab of some kind.

  3. Dave,

    I photographed these frequently this past winter in Grand Cayman, and have referred to them as a Spongy Decorator Crab, Marcocoeloma trispinosum as found on page 229 of the Humann/Deloach Reef Creature Indentification book, 2nd edition.

    Buddies nad myself discovered a particular gray sponge in the shallows that had upwards of 6 or more at any given time on it.They seemed to be as active during the day as at night.

    Nice Pic!

     

    Cindy

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.