Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

New video forum sections?

Started by uwxplorer ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

New video forum sections?

17 posts
  1. I rarely wander in the upper sections of the forum (photography), but I appreciate the diversity of sections that are available there. Would it maybe be possible to add a few more sections in the video part of the forum?

    For instance, whereas it is always instructive and entertaining to watch example videos of members (or non members) in the "Editing, Post-Production and Sharing" section, some of the posts are simple links to a video.

    I am not sure what would be the optimal number of topics of new sections (maybe that should be the topic of a forum wide vote... or an upper management decision ;-) but here are a few inspired by the photography forum and my personal experience of using the forum. Maybe a poll would be an appropriate way to figure it out?

     

    - Housings

    - Lights

    - Cameras

    - Lenses

    - Other Gear Parts (arms, tripod, float, etc)

    - Editing Techniques (color correction, audio, etc)

    - Shooting Techniques (MWB, macro, etc)

    - Video Showcase

    - Competitions, Media

    - General discussion (critter/diver/local behaviors, etc)

     

    What do you think?

    Edited by uwxplorer
  2. Not a bad idea at all and a new 'video showcase' section would be a good thing. You're right, there seems less posted regarding editing in post than there are those showcasing their lastest work. I think I posted once before on here that those who encode their films or provide links should, at the least, list when and where the film was shot and the equipment that was used.

    Perhaps another section might include editing tutorials for the different NLEs. I rarely go to the main Wetpixel home page but I, as others, have written several articles and reviews that I have shared with Wetpixel, but I doubt that many actually see them or even know they are there. It would be nice if somehow a post or notice was provided to wetpixel community members that these exist. I had no idea that Eric Cheng had reviewed the Keldan Flux light until I had done my own review of the Keldan CRI light.

    Steve

  3. If it was up to me I'd have everything lumped into one big video forum. Wetpixel already has 3 of my daily browser tabs group (gear, editing and critter ID). And I hardly ever check the 3D forum because it's separate. If the video stuff became fragmented any more I'd probably stop visiting daily.

     

    But I do agree that maybe the editing forum would be better as a "video showcase", and the technology of editing would be more at home in the gear forum.

  4. I would love a section on shooting technique & editing to see how the pros do it.

    Cheers Pete.

  5. What about a video editing tutorial section where editors can put tutorials regarding their NLEs of choice for others to learn from? It might be difficult to place graphics within the text at their proper places though.

    Steve

  6. What about a video editing tutorial section where editors can put tutorials regarding their NLEs of choice for others to learn from? It might be difficult to place graphics within the text at their proper places though.

    Steve

    Tutorials would be awesome, but wouldn't they best be located under the "Articles" tab? There is a comment section that could allow continued exchanges. Unless there is a way to have "Stickies" in the forum sections, so that they don't get buried after a while...

  7. Hi guys,

     

    I can see the need for the "sharing" forum to be separate from the "editing and post production" part.

     

    I feel that tutorials as such have no place on here as forums are for discussion and advice. I would think about adding them as articles to the front page however, depending on relevance.

     

    In any case, the issue is more practical-we are and have been redesigning the site for some time. It is taking far more time than we hoped or anticipated. The inclusion of new forums further complicates the migration of data onto any new design.

     

    May I beg yet more patience while we get things sorted please. We do not have an implementation date for the new design yet, but I'm sure when we get it up, we will re visit the issue of additional/different forums.

     

    Adam

  8. I say don't bother. With cameras now heading towards dual functionality, still cameras will be video cameras will be both. We will be assimilated. ^_^

  9. I say don't bother. With cameras now heading towards dual functionality, still cameras will be video cameras will be both. We will be assimilated. ^_^

     

    You are probably right as far as (some) hardware is concerned, but it will remain that the creative process is VERY different in video and photo (at least it appears so to me). Not everybody will be ready to spend the time needed to edit a video. Tools and techniques will remain SOMEWHAT different.

     

    I was not claiming new sections were urgently needed. But the two only sections of the video part of the forum are kind of a hodgepodge of VERY different topics. Some people are interested in all of them but some are not. I admit to be the kind of guy who classifies his email in a (hopefully) well-thought through hierarchy of folders (while my desk is an awful mess). But I do not claim this to be more efficient/better that any other systems (such as a the lone inbox with thousands of emails) or desirable for everyone. Hence the poll suggestion. Obviously this is up to the forum owners (who must be praised for offering it in the first place!).

  10. Adam is correct in that we all know they have been working to complete their redesign of the forum so patience is certainly necessary. As for articles, it is rare I go to the home page where articles might be announced. Is that true for many or am I the exception? Maybe these new articles could be announced as well in the appropriate forum. For example, I recently wrote a review of the Keldan CRI lights and had no idea that Eric Cheng had already written a review of one of their other lights that were very similar to the ones I wrote of.

     

    As far as tutorials go, I have seen some of the better films here, and there have been times I thought 'How did he do that?". For me, various tutorials would provide additional learning opportunities. When PC people ask me what NLEs they should buy I might suggest Edious but that is only based on Drew's knowledge and enthusiasm for it. A demo by a wetpixel member would provide better understandings of all NLEs for everyone. Remember that not everyone here has been in this biz for a long time and some are completely new to the field and need this type of assistance. I am desperately working on the new FCX trying to master its functioning which is very different from legacy Final Cut Pro versions and, thus, feel like a complete newbie. If it poses a problem for me, already fairly experienced, think of the trials and confusion of those just entering this arena who might not have a clue but want to learn.

    Steve

  11. Personally I'd lump everything video back into one forum. I have no knowledge of the actual numbers and I certainly could be wrong, but to me the number of posts in the video forums seems to have been on a pretty constant and steady decline over the last couple of years. Maybe its due to the number of hybrid cameras out there now, maybe it was after the forums were split up or maybe its for other reasons but my vote would be to put everything back into one forum again.

     

    Cheers, Simon

  12. Personally I'd lump everything video back into one forum. I have no knowledge of the actual numbers and I certainly could be wrong, but to me the number of posts in the video forums seems to have been on a pretty constant and steady decline over the last couple of years. Maybe its due to the number of hybrid cameras out there now, maybe it was after the forums were split up or maybe its for other reasons but my vote would be to put everything back into one forum again.

     

    Cheers, Simon

     

    I would have a vidslr section then a section for serious video users... ^_^^_^

     

    Dean

  13. I would have a vidslr section then a section for serious video users... ^_^^_^

     

    Dean

     

    When was the last time you were serious about anything? :)

     

    Steve

  14. When was the last time you were serious about anything? ^_^

     

    Steve

     

    Touché young man ... ^_^ Although there are already way too many 'serious' peeps on here :)

     

    Dean

  15. Hopefully he was serious when he proposed to Jacqui! ^_^

  16. We don't get that many posts, I reckon just chuck it all in together. I find it a pain having to go back and forth.

  17. Hopefully he was serious when he proposed to Jacqui! ^_^

     

    Some things are to be taken more seriously than others brother ^_^

     

    Dean

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.