Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon Vs. Sigma 105mm

Started by thomhard ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon Vs. Sigma 105mm

7 posts
  1. Nikon Vs. Sigma 105mm

    Hi there,

     

    I'm just evaluating lenses for my new D100 that I want to take under.

    And looking arroung it's mostly quite clear what to get, but with the 105mm from Sigma I just do not see the burried dog!?!

     

    So someone might just have to piont mw where to dig?

    Both are 1:1, both have a max app of 2.8, the closeup rage is at 1' for both,

    so I mainly just see the price difference (and a not unreasonable one)!

     

    But as I said! maybe I'm digging on the wrong spot?!?

     

    Cheers

    thomhard :roll:

  2. One thing to consider: are focus rings available for both lenses, with whatever housing/port combo you have?

  3. Check-out Jessops.com, ebay, B&H for a used 105 micro. I payed $250 for mine and it's perfect.

     

    B&H on ebay have focus and ap.gears @ $30 each (New)

  4. Just what I did yesterday biddin 250.-$ on one, but got overruled by 100$!

    Well can't always win.

    But Sigma you would get a new one for 290.- allready, so is there any realy disadvantage?!?

    Gears yes, but I anyway was planing on goin mostly AF. Do I make a mistake there? :|

    Thanks a lot

    thomhard :roll:

  5. I have not used the Sigma lens, but I own the Nikon. I know a lot of shooters, and not one of them felt it was worth the $200 difference to settle for the Sigma.

     

    People say the Sigma is not as sharp as the Nikkor, but I have not tested it myself. Do a google search on 105mm sharpness.

     

    HTH

    James

  6. You'll need gears for adjusting aperture too, but you WILL find that in a lot of instances manual is the only way. You can however do this by getting minimum focus on a rock, then turning the CSM dial to M to put it in manual. Then just rock backwards & forwards.

     

    I've never used the Sigma either, maybe your local shop can let you play with one.

  7. Fortunately, you won't need aperture gears for use with the D100. The aperture is controlled by the command dial on the camera.

     

    So the camera can use the newer "g type" lenses that don't even have an aperture ring.

     

    Cheers

    James

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.