Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Red sea Jellyfish

Started by TNT ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Red sea Jellyfish

7 posts
  1. on a recent trip to marsa alarm, egypt, I came accross this unusual specimen in about 1m of water. Can anyone help with the ID please.

     

    6248991375_6dc2d32b61.jpg

  2. Take a look at Thysanostoma loriferum.

  3. Nice one, Thank you.

    I don't suppose you know where to get any more info? the usual searches haven't revealed much..

  4. There's very little on the net to help with jellyfish ID. I just found it through google images.

  5. What a gorgeous Jelly! Nice shot as well... what dive site were you at?

  6. It was at Marsa Mubarak. A great site for turtles, rays and the occational dugong with no scuba required as most is in under 2m.

  7. Wow, awesome specimen. I'm actually building a list of sightings for Thysanostoma in an attempt to find them. Unfortunately you will not find any information for this species because it has never been studied, no formal work that is, someone might have some unpublished data out there...

     

    Any chance you can post this sighting on jellywatch.org?

    Great shot!

    Wyatt

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.