Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Scratched Port!?

Started by ExposureFish ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Scratched Port!?

6 posts
  1. Hey guys! Got destroyed a couple weeks ago onto a shallow reef and my camera lens decided to break my fall. Needless to say the scratches were too heavy and noticeable for water to fill them in completely. I contacted Sean at SPL and it was going to be a $400 bill to get a new port. At that price I was seriously considering upgrading my in water surf setup to my 5d MKII instead of investing money in an outdated rig (canon 40d)... Until I found Micro Mesh!!!! It's just a sanding and buffing kit made for acrylics and it saved me $400 in exchange for just a couple hours of elbow grease. I buffed the entire port to make sure there wouldn't be any distortion and it worked like a charm. The kit number I got was NC-78-1. I ordered mine from www.micro-surface.com and it arrived in Hawaii within a week. I know I sound like one of those bad commercials on tv for oxyclean but hey, the product works, it saved me $400 bucks and extended the life of my 40d for in water photography (whether that's good or bad is a whole different story). Just thought I would share my experiences with a scratched port and hopefully we can continue this thread with other peoples experiences on fixes. Stay safe in the water!

     

    -Kyle

     

    www.exposurefish.com

  2. The kit number I got was NC-78-1. I ordered mine from www.micro-surface.com and it arrived in Hawaii within a week.

     

    Hi,

     

    I can't find that product on their website. Is there any chance you can send me a link to it? I think I could do with some of that stuff!

     

    Cheers!

  3. I found the Novus is great for light scratches but from what I understand the Micro Mesh is the go for deeper ones.

     

    There's a Pinned Thread about dome scratch repairs it includes some photos and video from members showing the process.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  4. I've never thought of this before, but now I'm wondering if those headlight kits for cars might work for light scratches too? I have a simple one on the shelf in the garage... time to experiment on the headlights first. I hadn't heard of Micro Mesh before... thanks for the info.

    Edited by lbrowne
  5. Its been a while since you might not have solved this, but I am selling my SPL housing (for 5DMKII) and ports (fisheye port, 16-35mm with zoom), pistol grip and any other accessories that came with it.

     

    The housing is in perfect condition and has only been used in a fresh water pool (expected to be able to use it in the surf but turned out there was no surf).

     

    If you are interested let me know. I have not decided on the price yet but even though all items are as new I will be giving a good discount.

     

    SPL housings are extremely strong and very light. I like it so it is a shame to sell it, but have decided to sell now, so this is good opportunity for someone wanting to upgrade.

     

    Cheers

    Matt

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.