Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

First decent set of gear

Started by fishydiver123 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

First decent set of gear

6 posts
  1. I am fairly new to underwater photography, having used a panasonic fx35 before (fully auto, no strobe), and am looking for advice on new kit.

     

    I am looking at getting a g9 canon housing. Would you recommend this for underwater photography, as the ikelite housing is no longer available, even on ebay? Also what kind of results do you get with the g9 without a strobe? (budget is not very high!) Any sample photos?

     

    I have also looked at purchasing a new camera, perhaps a fuji f80 or something similar - any recommendations for why I should get something newer? I would like to buy a strobe if I keep the canon, but I cannot afford to spend much on a Sea&Sea or similar. I know it's basic but will the fuji underwater strobe kit/fantasea nano make a difference to my photos, or are they not strong enough to help at all? Thanks.

  2. Although I'd usually always recommend the use of a strobe UW, one only has to look at Brian Mayes' photostream to see

    that a strobe/s is not essential, especially for close focus macro work. He uses the G9 without strobe to achieve some really

    stunning images. Though of course its not the camera but the person behind it that counts.

     

    If considering more recent models on your budget perhaps you could look at the Canon S90/95 and then have the option to

    consider adding a small strobe like the Inon S2000 or Sea & Sea YS-01 at a later date.

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  3. I have looked at this option, but the problem is price - I already have the g9, so the housing is the only expense, plus the strobe if I go for it. I am not a year-round diver so I can't afford to splash out (no pun intended) on a £700 set of gear. Is it better to get a newer model, or go for the g9 and the nano, with the possibility always existing to upgrade the strobe when I start doing more diving (live miles away from the sea in England and am still at school at the moment so only dive in holidays!). THanks

  4. One case for getting the newer model is perhaps for greater longevity for the investment. But if funds are low and UWP a low life priority and infrequent

    then housing the G9 you already have would seem more prudent and certainly more achievable. Money otherwise spent on a new camera could go towards

    that strobe.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  5. I had a student who got a P7000 in a Fantasea housing and Fantasea Nano strobe.

    We never figured out how to set the strobe to work reliable with the P7000 and the Nano manual states wrong settings.

    I suggest to get a more powerful strobe to be ready when you get a better camera and i suggest a INON D2000 or Z-240 strobe.

     

     

    I would get a housing for the G9 ONLY if it would be very cheap because the G9 is more than obsolete even if it's a fine camera,

    otherwise i personally would go for a G10/G11/G12 setup.

    The Canon G11/G12 or S90/S95/S100 is certainly one of the best advanced P&S on the market ad the only real concurrent is the Nikon P7000/7100.

     

     

    Chris

  6. thanks for all your help. I have decided to repair my fx35 which I already have the housing for, as this saves me a considerable amount of money. I would then be able to afford the fantasea remora - anyone have any experience with this strobe - please don't suggest Sea&Seas or Inons as I really can't afford the price - more than double the remora. btw I am in the UK so things are a lot more pricy than in the US.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.