Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Blennies Blennies everywhere...

Started by JKrumsick ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Blennies Blennies everywhere...

10 posts
  1. Hey Everyone -

    I need some help with these Blennies. I have some ideas about what they are but need some corroboration.

     

    Thanks in advance!

     

    6286442079_294d09e1a9.jpg

    xxuk_y08_m04_0215.jpg by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

     

    No idea... :-)

     

    6286441527_0edbc92e93.jpg

    yyyc_y09_m06_0030.jpg by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

     

    Diamond Blennie? Not a good ID photo I know...

     

    6286440713_9ef1578342.jpg

    yyac_SAD3038.jpg by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

     

    Lofty or Roughhead Triplefin?

     

    6286438481_ee10dc938b.jpg

    yyxxac_y11_m01_0050.jpg by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

     

    Same question, Lofty or Roughhead Triplefin?

     

    6286439495_580ca1292d.jpg

    yyjauk_y09_m09_0205.jpg by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

     

    Pirate Blenny? He has long cirri but his foredorsal fin is down.

  2. where were these photos taken

  3. First looks like Orangesided Goby (Gobiosoma dilepsis) if photo was taken in Caribbean, but the image is not clear enough for any certain ID.

  4. Thanks Karen, I am having to do ID's for a friend of a friend and these photos were taken over a period of 30 years in various locations. In fact, the diver who took these photos is friends with Paul Humann and it is a wonder he doesn't have him do the ID'ing!

     

    Anyway, the photos are limited to the Caribbean and done mostly in the Cayman Islands.

     

    Thanks again for the help!

  5. #1 Emblemariopsis sp. (can't ID these guys to species without careful morphological examination)

    #2 Malacoctenus boehlkei (Diamond Blenny)

    #3 Malacoctenus triangulatus (Saddled Blenny)

    #4 Enneanectes boehlkei (Roughhead Triplefin)

    #5 Emblemaria pandionis (Sailfin Blenny)

  6. Thanks for the replies.

     

    Rocha, I don't want to call your conclusions into question but I have to do a lot of due diligence with ID'ing (its for a book).

     

    Are you sure you think #3 is a Saddled Blenny? I thought it was at first as well until I found what looks like a retracted foredorsal fin on its head. This is why I thought it was a triplefin.

     

    I have re-posted in Flickr with a closeup of the same photo and am re-posting it.

     

    6291751510_90827076ec.jpg

    yyac_SAD3038.jpg by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

     

    And are you sure #2 is a Diamond Blenny?

     

    Is this a Diamond Blenny even though it doesn't have the fore-fin?

     

    6291758842_60587491d8.jpg

    xxyc_y07_m06_0152.jpg by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

     

    Lastly, I have a couple more I am having difficulty with ID'ing. Thanks so much for the help.

     

    6291766474_608d4e3430.jpg

    yyja_y07_m02_0046.jpg by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

     

    Some kind of bi-color Pike Blenny

     

    6291767084_03e43f4053.jpg

    yyja_y08_m03_0263.jpg by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

     

    Maybe a roughhead. Those red eyes are kind of scary.

     

    Cheers!

  7. I am 100% sure about the first 2 (Malacoctenus triangulatus and Malacoctenus boehlkei). The third is probably Chaenopsis limbaughi (Yellowface pikeblenny) but I can't be sure without seeing the whole fish. The last is Opistognathus macrognathus (Banded Jawfish).

    Edited by Rocha
  8. I am 100% sure about the first 2 (Malacoctenus triangulatus and Malacoctenus boehlkei). The third is probably Chaenopsis limbaughi (Yellowface pikeblenny) but I can't be sure without seeing the whole fish. The last is Opistognathus macrognathus (Banded Jawfish).

     

    I agree with Luiz on all of them except the third one, which looks more like a wrasse blenny (Hemiemblemaria simula )

     

    Les

  9. I agree with Luiz on all of them except the third one, which looks more like a wrasse blenny (Hemiemblemaria simula )

     

    Les

     

    You are absolutely correct! I haven't been in the Caribbean so long, starting to forget some species...

  10. Luis, Les and Karen -

    Thank you so much for the help. I am currently working on a friend's book and it is really tough doing this for the first time. Your help has made me much more confident in the work that I am doing!

     

    All the very best,

    Jeremy

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.