Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Advice on Aquatica Dome Ports

Started by johnjvv ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Advice on Aquatica Dome Ports

4 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    I have decided to get a Tokina 10-17 FE lens for my D90 and in the process of selecting a port.

     

    I am considering either the acrylic 8 inch or the glass 4 inch Aquatica port, the large glass port is not within my budget. I do not foresee buying another wide angle lens any time soon and therefore I want to make sure that I get the best port for this lens.

     

    I have read other threads explaining corner sharpness issues with the small ports in comparison to larger glass ports however how does it compare to medium size acrylic ports?

     

    The small size of the 4 inch port is great for travel however I foresee using this predominantly where I live.

     

    If anyone has experience using these ports I would much appreciate advice or opinions, my main objective is getting the best port for the lens.

     

    Thanks

     

    John

  2. These are my opinions, I have both the 4" and the 8". I am in Fiji right now with my 4" and couldn't be happier. I shoot mostly at F/8 to F/11 and have not noticed fuzzy corners at all. The 4" inch being glass dosen't seam to scracth as easy but I am sure when it does get scratched it's going to be a bigger problem.

    With the 8" back at home in the Great Lakes I have had good results too but being as carfull as I can be I still have managed to get some small scracthes. I have had to buy some sticky wheel weights to stick on the back side of the dome to trim it out. Without it wants to float dome up and can get a bit tough on your wrist.

    I think the 4" is only good for your fisheye but have seen results here on Wetpixel of someone useing a 60MM micro with good results. I have not tried split shots with either but hear the 4" is no good for that but the 8" is.

    The whole rig is easier to handle with the the 4". Close focus wide angle is easier to light with a 4"

     

    You probably couldn't go wrong either way,

     

    Have fun, Paul Chase

  3. Thanks Paul, good to hear you are enjoying the 4 inch, the dealer is also giving very positive reviews. Enjoy your trip!!

  4. Read the Alex Mustards review on minidomes in the link below...

     

    Alex Mustard MINIDOMES

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.