Skip to content

Copyright Issues, Non-Payment, Fraud, Theft / Archived topic

My image used without consent

Started by gina ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

My image used without consent

7 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    I just discovered that one of my images was used in multiple NWF blogs without my knowledge or consent. What's troubling is that although they credited the image to me it also says "Courtesy SharkWeek," which appears to be Discovery Channel's Shark Week, whom I would never allow to use one of my photos. I do agree with the spirit of the blog post, but my images specify "All Rights Reserved" and I do not want them used without consent. Did Discovery Channel steal the image as well? Does anyone have any idea who I can contact about this? I cannot find any contact info for the blog writers, and the NWF contact page does not appear to be the appropriate way to contact them. I am also unable to leave a comment on that blog page.

     

    Here are the articles: http://blog.nwf.org/wildlifepromise/2011/1...amazed-by-them/

    http://blog.nwf.org/wildlifepromise/2011/0...ate-shark-week/

    and here's my Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/g-na/42968450...157623140150937

     

    Thanks,

    Gina

    Edited by gina
  2. Hi Gina,

    It appears this lady wrote the article and put your images in it.

    http://blog.nwf.org/blog/author/danielle.brigida/

     

    "She can be found on Twitter as @starfocus (and @NWF) as well as many other social sites. She loves sharing her love for wildlife (and other peoples images), science and nature."

     

    Might be the place to start?

     

    Steve

    Edited by Steve Williams
  3. Have you tried putting the image into Google Image Search? This link explains all...I have just run a search on your image and its been found twice using this method. I don't know how long this kind of link survives, but have a look here.

     

    If you regularly use GIS, be prepared to find your images in the strangest of locations and for purposes you never imagined...I'm finding mine in all sorts of places, and right now have a four figure infringement claim about to drop for one image used online without a license.

     

    GIS is perhaps the best tool to give photographers a chance at finding their work and then claiming the fees due. Suddenly there are fewer and fewer places to hide...perhaps only paywalls will keep GIS out.

     

    Finally, I would recommend to everyone that they register their images with the US Copyright Office. Without registration, photographers can only claim what they would have charged...but with registration the statutory damages awarded are sufficient to get a lawyer interested to work on contingency.

  4. The page has contact info at the bottom:

     

    National Wildlife Federation | 11100 Wildlife Center Dr, Reston VA 20190 | 703-438-6000 1-800-822-9919

     

    Send a bill.

  5. Thank you every one for your help and advice. I will be billing NWF for their use of my image. Assuming they cough up the cash, this will be the first image I've "sold." Hrmpf, not exactly the joyous occasion I had hoped for :)

     

    -Gina

  6. Any response?

  7. Any response?

     

    Not yet. I emailed a letter + invoice to the author of the original article, and also snail mailed the same info to the accounts payable department. I haven't heard back from either, but I'll give the accts. dept. a couple more weeks before I follow up with a phone call.

     

    -Gina

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.