Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Epicenter

Started by SimonSpear ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Epicenter

16 posts
  1. Hi All

     

    It has been awhile since I shared a film of mine on Wetpixel, but I've just more or less finished editing one that has been on my list of things to do for many, many months! I still may make a couple of changes and tweaks, but it is basically finished.

     

    [vimeohd]30847844[/vimeohd]

     

     

    The majority was shot at Lembeh using only ambient light, apart from the night dives obviously. Mostly shot on my V1 with a Century +3.5 screw in achromatic diopter, Gates Housing with flat port. (So this is not 7D footage which I have been filming with recently.)

     

    Enjoy! :)

     

    Cheers, Simon

  2. Well done, really enjoyed it.

  3. Simon that is amazing!

    What editing program did you use?

    Cheers Pete.

  4. Hi Pete

     

    All my editing is done on FCP at the moment. Whether that will last or not is up for debate! :)

     

    Cheers, Simon

  5. Simon,

     

    Well done, some great shots!

     

    How many dives was this footage from? I am going to Lembeh for the first time in January so this footage really got me excited!

     

    What did you do for CC for the footage without lights? I will try a few different methods with and without lights and just curious what you found was working the best.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Kelly

  6. Not another bleeding Lembeh video!!!?

     

    :)

     

    Looks lovely though bud might have to venture that way sometime in the future...

     

    Dean

  7. Dean LOL stop complaining and get out there.

     

    Kelly the footage was shot over 40(ish) dives from memory and it was rare to come up from a dive without at least 30 mins of cracking shots which is the magic of Lembeh. For WB I was mainly using the sun on the water's surface but if that's not possible you can always use the palm of your hand if your housing allows you to get into that position (it is REALLY difficult to do on some longer bigger housings). I'm not a believer in frying macro subjects with intense close proximity lighting, or using lights in general underwater for that matter, but I admit that they are useful below 20-25m in that type of water. Have a great time when you go! :)

     

    Cheers, Simon

  8. Wow Simon, only ambient light and you still got some beautiful footage. Very impressive. Is there a reason you switched from the 7D? Haven't been to Lembeh in a few years, I should get myself back there. Why is it that British accents sound so much better than our American ones? Will have to get a Brit to narrate my next film.

    Congrats, great job.

    Steve

  9. Why is it that British accents sound so much better than our American ones? Will have to get a Brit to narrate my next film.

     

    Fade in scenic corals festooned with coloured fish life...

     

    "Cor Blimey Mary Poppins theres one of those flamin sea Orses!!! Well luv a duck" :)

     

    I love Simons narration (or is it Rodney Trotter)

     

    Dean (oo arrr Wheres me tractor) B

  10. Great video, shared it ! :)

  11. Rodney Trotter LOL I love it. Hmmm shouldn't spill the beans but I may be working with someone from Only Fools very shortly.... :)

     

    Steve - I absolutely HATE my voice, while I always think an American accent sounds so much better than mine.

     

    Autopsea - thanks!

     

    Cheers, Simon

  12. Liked on Vimeo. Did you at least pick up the battery and can?

  13. I picked up the battery and put it in my BCD pocket, but to be honest I left the can. Strange as it sounds something will probably move into it and call it home. Sadly there was lots of trash lying around and the shear number of plastic bags that we saw moving around in the current was insane, so so many of them in Lembeh and also around the Peninsula at Bunaken.

     

    Cheers, Simon

  14. Great shots of some really cool critters. I'm neither a macro or a video person, and your footage is almost enough to make me take it back and learn about little squidgy things. The colours are especially impressive for ambient light, and I like the fact that you can see the background carrying on behind each animal.

  15. Simon, the solution for plastic bag is known: ban them (they've started to do this here in SoCal, although with some inconsistencies, such as banning plastic bags for groceries, but still using them for packing fruits and vegetables, for instance). Any chance that you guys traveling all around the world can sensitize local authorities to this?

  16. I certainly always mention things like plastic bags and there are a lot of good guys out there trying to make a difference, but it is also quite shocking the number of deaf ears you come across. On one notable occasion I got a lecture back on why 'nothing could be done'. Well something can ALWAYS be done, it just depends on whether you want to make the effort or not....

     

    Cheers, Simon

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.