Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Lembeh Shrimp ID

Started by serge ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Lembeh Shrimp ID

5 posts
  1. Hi folks,

     

    One of our Guides found this shrimp and our guest took this picture

     

    It looks like a hairy shrimp (Phycocaris simulans) ... but has no hair, a thicker body and green colour. Movement, Size and habitat are similar to the hairy shrimp.

    Anyone knows what it is? Is it the same species, a variation, antoher Phycocaris or something else?

     

     

    Thanks,

     

    Serge

  2. I have sent it off to one of the shrimp doc...hopefully we will hear back. I wonder if it is a recently molted Hairy shrimp. It's incredibly cool, whatever it is. I am in Lembeh withdrawal.

     

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  3. Thank's a lot Marli ... thanks for the effort!

     

    Unfortunately there is not much i can do about your Lembeh withdrawal ... except for saying: get a airplaneticket :)

     

     

    Greets from Lembeh,

     

    Serge

  4. O.K., the verdict from Sammy de Graves is in:

     

    I think its Phycocaris alright, but very different from other photos I have seen of P.simulans, the only known species in the genus. Could well be a new species.

     

    The other genus which has that pose is Parastylodactylus, but that's more slender

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  5. Wow, thank you, that was fast. And it sounds very cool ... i think i will get some shots from all sides then.

     

     

    cheers, serge

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.