Slashmagurk
Archived member
230 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
Hi -
Could someone please tell me what is happening with these sponges and possibly their species name? Also, if you have an idea about the ID of that little fish with the yellow, black and white stripes on the second picture that would be very helpful also.
Thanks!
yysp_y06_m03_0007 by I(heart)Fish , on Flickr
yysp_y06_m03_0010 by I(heart)Fish , on Flickr
Rocha
Salty Dog
3075 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
The fish is a juvenile Blue Head Wrasse (Thalassoma bifasciatum ). I am pretty sure the sponge is spawning, but no idea what species it is.
Francoise
Archived member
9 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
Hi,
The sponge is a Xestospongia muta or 'Barrel-sponge', 'basket sponge', 'tub sponge' in English. (Eponge tonneau or Eponge barrique in French)
The first picture is an emission of sperm, and the second one shows an expulsion of eggs wrapped packets of mucus.
So, the first sponge is a male and the second one a female.