Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon Powershot G12 vs. Olympus XZ-1

Started by Scoutsifer ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon Powershot G12 vs. Olympus XZ-1

11 posts
  1. Hey guys,

     

    So I'm at the University of Plymouth and I'm scuba diving here (SouthEast England) and I want to start filming my dive and take the odd photo here and there as well.

     

    I'm torn between these two cameras, here's a quick comparison:

     

    http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_PowerSho...vs-Olympus-XZ-1

     

    Even so, this comparison is certainly not based on diving shots or video. I was wondering does anyone have any insight to these cameras and would anyone reccomend one of them for what I want to do?

    I'm looking to start a YouTube channel and put up loads of filmed dives :)

     

    Thanks,

     

    Scott

  2. Hey guys,

     

    So I'm at the University of Plymouth and I'm scuba diving here (SouthEast England) and I want to start filming my dive and take the odd photo here and there as well.

     

    I'm torn between these two cameras, here's a quick comparison:

     

    http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_PowerSho...vs-Olympus-XZ-1

     

    Even so, this comparison is certainly not based on diving shots or video. I was wondering does anyone have any insight to these cameras and would anyone reccomend one of them for what I want to do?

    I'm looking to start a YouTube channel and put up loads of filmed dives :)

     

    Thanks,

     

    Scott

    You might want to move this to the P&S forum this one is for film and I am guessing that neither of these uses film (if anyone remembers what that is).

    Bill

  3. I have the G12 in a Recsea housing and absolutely love it - far out performs my dodgy skills

     

    Karl

  4. http://www.reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=28

     

    If you can stretch to an oly epl2 in the oly housing, it will blow away any of the smaller cameras.

     

    I completely agree with this. I used to shoot with a G10 and just recently moved to a E-PL2 and am amazed by the difference. I do miss the separate exposure compensation and ISO dials on the canon though.

  5. One major issue for me is that Canon 'G' Series don't support TTL in 'M' mode. I had a G10 in a FIX housing and this was the largest negative of the system. Well, that and slow autofocus.

  6. I've used both, I'd definitely go with the Canon G12, it is a step above other compacts imho in the underwater photos it can produce. Especially with a fisheye or macro lens. I'd go with a high-end housing like a Recsea. - Scott

  7. The other major problem, with the canon G series, (besides no flash TTL in M mode mentioned above), is the horrible last in class auto focus system, which is slower than any of the competition. This is crucially important for a P&S underwater, if you want to get an in focus shot before the subject swims completely out of the frame!

     

    The lx5 leads the class in auto focus speed and accuracy, the xz1 is not too bad, and the nikon p7100 is way way faster and better than the canon. Even the canon S series is considerably better at Auto focus than the G series, leading one to surmise that canon does not want to make the prosumer's so good as to cut market share from the DSLR sales..

  8. The other major problem, with the canon G series, (besides no flash TTL in M mode mentioned above), is the horrible last in class auto focus system, which is slower than any of the competition. This is crucially important for a P&S underwater, if you want to get an in focus shot before the subject swims completely out of the frame!

     

    The lx5 leads the class in auto focus speed and accuracy, the xz1 is not too bad, and the nikon p7100 is way way faster and better than the canon. Even the canon S series is considerably better at Auto focus than the G series, leading one to surmise that canon does not want to make the prosumer's so good as to cut market share from the DSLR sales..

     

    Don - the G12 focused great underwater for me, when you used it you may have had it on the wrong auto-focus settings. And many of our La Paz workshop participants got some great sea lion action photos with the G12. - Scott

  9. Now that the Canon G1X has been anounced, that would be my choice.

  10. Now that the Canon G1X has been anounced, that would be my choice.

     

    Agree this looks even better than G12

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.