Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Anemonefish species

Started by ATJ ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Anemonefish species

4 posts
  1. There was a family of these anemonefish in an anemone just off one of the resorts on Mabul Island in the Celebes Sea. I can determine what species they are. The closest appears to be Amphiprion clarkii but the tail being black and the third white band being quite thick suggest otherwise.

     

    Here's a juvenile:

    Amphiprion_ParadiseI201110.jpg

     

    Here's an adult (probably the female):

    Amphiprion_ParadiseI201110-2.jpg

     

    Any ideas?

  2. I've seen quite a lot of those in the Lembeh Strait. I think they are saddleback anemonefish, Amphiprion polymnus.

  3. Thanks.

     

    I had actually been using the online version of Fautin and Allen and didn't feel their description sufficiently covered the exception to the saddle:

     

    Colour features and size: Dark brown with broad white bar just behind eye; on middle of back an abbreviated white saddle or on middle of the side a partial to complete white bar that slants slightly backwards, extending onto middle and rear parts of dorsal fin; caudal fin mainly dark brown with broad whitish margins, the dark part tapering in width posteriorly; breast and belly either yellow orange or dark brown. Maximum length about 120 mm.

     

    I guess it is all in the interpretation of "partial to complete white bar". I interpreted it incorrectly.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.