Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Magnafying Eyepiece inside housing?

Started by Tmaxx ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Magnafying Eyepiece inside housing?

6 posts
  1. Has anyone tried to use a magnifying eyepiece while putting it into a housing?

    examples:here and here

     

    I have an ikelite housing which has a viewfinder that as described here seems to make the image smaller but allows the user to see the entire viewfinder.

     

    My goal is to make the image bigger and i do not mind having the corners cut a bit in the viewfinder. Can anyone confirm if any of the eyepieces fit inside the housing and that my assumption that it would make the image bigger be correct?

  2. Not a great answer to your question, but I too have the Ikelite housing and struggled with the standard viewfinder.

     

    I have fitted an Inon 45 degree viewfinder, using an adaptor from UWCameraStuff

     

    It's a revelation, the image is big and bright, has full coverage, and actually allows me to compose, rather than having to guess. Not the cheapest solution, but a lot cheaper than upgrading housings!

  3. Hi

     

    There is not enough room for that to fit inside the housing. I have tried the Nikon DK-17M and the Nikon DK-21M. The Nikon DK-17M requires some adapter modification but you might try the Nikon DK-21M. I know it doesn't sound like much magnification but you will be surprised at the loss of image area. The major problem as I see it is the fact that you loose the bottom information line. I recommend one of the 45 or 180 degree viewfinders with our adapter. The good thing about this option is that when you upgrade your housing you can put the old viewfinder back in and move your expensive viewfinder to your new housing. I have installed the Inon 45 and 180 degree viewfinder in several ikelite housings. The Aquatica Aqua View viewfinder is great but it will not fit in the ikelite viewfinder hole.

  4. Does the Inon 45 degree viewfinder have a diopter adjustment? Looking at several sites I have not found the answer.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Terry

  5. Does the Inon 45 degree viewfinder have a diopter adjustment? Looking at several sites I have not found the answer.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Terry

    No it doesn't, in practice you adjust the viewfinder diopter on the camera. The only 45 finder that I know about that has a diopter adjustment is from Nauticam but it shouldn't matter unless you have several folks using the same housing.

    Bill

  6. Does the Inon 45 degree viewfinder have a diopter adjustment? Looking at several sites I have not found the answer.

     

    No, it doesn't. And I didn't need it anyway. My camera had the dioptre adjusted on land when I first bought it, and I haven't touched it since, and it has been in the Ikelite housing with and without the Inon viewfinder. I personally do not see the benefit in a dioptre adjustment on a viewfinder, unless it is a rental housing.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.