I registered absolutely ages ago before I went out to the Maldives to get some advice on my existing camera set up that I was considering upgrading/adding to. In the end I decided to stick with my old Fuji F100fd until I had more diving experience and I bought a Panasonic FT2 just for snorkeling instead. This was all back in May but this is my first time making it back to the forum, apologies. Before going, I read a really good book about using point & shoots underwater and it really helped. I thought I would share a couple of my favourite pics here with you, they have only been basic colour edited in Picasa (the free version!), I have absolutely no idea how to do anything more technical than that......yet.
I know that in the deep realms of underwater photography these are very amatuer but they are hundreds of miles better than the ones I took in Egypt last year so I am fairly happy. Fortunately, I have two trips to look forward to next year - Kenya and a return to the Maldives. I will be ditching the Fuji for next year so will be spending much more time on the forum while I make my decision
Hi Jody!
The main thing is, that You are happy with the results You got and You clearly see You have made improvements!
Yes they are amateur pictures, but hey we all started out as amateurs (I'm pretty sure I still am)
Did You take these snorkeling or diving? Next time You might want to try to get lower and shoot your subjects from the same level and avoid shooting them from above, allso try not to cut You'r subjects from the frame
Just some toughts!
Thanks for sharing and remember to share Your future pic's with us ;-)
Cheers
Karel
Jody,
The best way to improve your photography is to spend time on a course for underwater photographers such as Maria Munn, Martin Edge, etc. It will shorten the learning curve by years!
The other thing to do is join one of the photography clubs around the UK where you can meet with like minded people and learn from them. Depending on where you live there is a choice
EMUP - based at Stoney Cove
BSoUP - London
NUPG - Manchester
BUPG - Bristol
Photosub - Surrey
Just a plug for EMUP we are having a evening critiquing member's photos at our December meeting, Tuesday 7th December at Stoney - All welcome
All the best
Gordon
Thanks Karel & Gordon.
These were taken diving but I've only done 20 dives to date so am still getting the hang of everything. This was also my first time using a manual setting on my camera rather than the manufacturer underwater mode and I came away with more usable than 'to delete' pictures so in that sense it was successful.
Thanks for the info on local clubs Gordon, I am definitely planning on doing a couse with Maria in the new year (possibly after Kenya but before the Maldives so I have more dive experience) and am already saving for a new set up. One of my main issues is, because I am still a new diver, I tend to have to dive in small buddy groups with other divers, rather than having my own buddy who is happy to just bob around with me while I position myself for a perfect picture (my boyfriend unfortunately doesn't dive). I am sure that may change as I get more dives under my belt and I am intending to get more involved with my local dive club next year.
I really love being under the water and am looking forward to hopefully getting some better pics next year!
Wow, those pics are awesome. Just with a point and shoot huh? Did you have a separate flash or just used the sunlight?
very nice
very nice photos...!
Hi, the photos are really nice, especially the one with the anemone...
sorry if i cause any offence by going off topic. i see a list of u/w photography courses listed above. i've just started shooting video. does anyone know of any video courses in the u.k or even in the north west?
Thanks.
Wow those are some fine pics...need to visit Maldives for surfing
Nice Job
Thanks guys.
I took delivery of my Ikelite housing just before Xmas and my S95 turned up a few days ago so I am very happy.
Am booked in for a one day course with Maria Munn in March and will be making my first trip abroad with the new set up to Kenya at the end of March where I'll do some diving in the Watamu Marine Reserve then am back to the Maldives at end of June so hopefully I will get much more practice next year
Hi all,
I registered absolutely ages ago before I went out to the Maldives to get some advice on my existing camera set up that I was considering upgrading/adding to. In the end I decided to stick with my old Fuji F100fd until I had more diving experience and I bought a Panasonic FT2 just for snorkeling instead. This was all back in May but this is my first time making it back to the forum, apologies. Before going, I read a really good book about using point & shoots underwater and it really helped. I thought I would share a couple of my favourite pics here with you, they have only been basic colour edited in Picasa (the free version!), I have absolutely no idea how to do anything more technical than that......yet.
I know that in the deep realms of underwater photography these are very amatuer but they are hundreds of miles better than the ones I took in Egypt last year so I am fairly happy. Fortunately, I have two trips to look forward to next year - Kenya and a return to the Maldives. I will be ditching the Fuji for next year so will be spending much more time on the forum while I make my decision