Peter Jackson threw up a blog on the 3D shooting of the hobbit, including how they storyboard in 3D and use 3D to enhance the visual story telling. Pretty basic stuff but couple of interesting factors is shooting at 48fps for a more natural look, over saturation of color (something underwater shooters can't really control in the wild!) etc.
i can't believe the artists actually sketch out Red and Cyan pictures separately for the concept...... incredible.
It's not new David. They did that for POTC4 among others. However, I like the fact that Peter et al are now pushing towards 48fps! Let 24fps die please!
It's not new David. They did that for POTC4 among others. However, I like the fact that Peter et al are now pushing towards 48fps! Let 24fps die please!
Sure its not new. I am just admiring the artist's skills. Two different artists are drawing two identical frames separately by eye and no overlay which what most animators do. Could have produced two images of different colour from a single one. To do it this way on the fly is hard. Although I must admit you can't beat the tactile feel of a hand drawn picture. When I was at design school I sketch for days for a flip book animation and it is bloody difficult. These are really skilled craftsman and no wonder they all have grey hairs.
Cheers
David
LOL they are also just older! Maybe it's the NZ climate? LOL
LOL they are also just older! Maybe it's the NZ climate? LOL
I meant they are all veterans with grey hairs doing this..... then again maybe its the extra UV they received from NZ climate.
Not sure if this is the right thread, and this has nothing to do with underwater, but it's a very interesting and watchable look at the use of Epics for 3D in the making of The Hobbit. The 3D storyboarding is amazing. Can't fault them for thoroughness.
[youtubehd]apD2CFEJ0MY[/youtubehd]
I meant they are all veterans with grey hairs doing this..... then again maybe its the extra UV they received from NZ climate.
So are you saying if you don't have grey hairs, you're not doing your job right? Damn I have to dye my hair grey now!
So are you saying if you don't have grey hairs, you're not doing your job right? Damn I have to dye my hair grey now!
Dying your hair ain't going to do much good unless you could draw like them mate.
Not a bad job doing visual concepts for a big budget movie......
Fascinating Nick, thanks for putting this one up. I laughed at the one system he called light as a crew member was carrying it from one part of the set to the other.