Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Sponge or Tunicate?

Started by JKrumsick ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Sponge or Tunicate?

2 posts
  1. So I think it looks like a Strawberry vase sponge - Mycale laxissima. But I don't think sponges have "lips" at the openings? The lip reminds me of a tunicate but then I have never seen a tunicate quite like this...

     

    6322128701_0c71bace75_b.jpg

    yysp_y09_m09_0020.jpg by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

     

    Thanks!

  2. So I think it looks like a Strawberry vase sponge - Mycale laxissima. But I don't think sponges have "lips" at the openings? The lip reminds me of a tunicate but then I have never seen a tunicate quite like this...

     

    6322128701_0c71bace75_b.jpg

    yysp_y09_m09_0020.jpg by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

     

    Thanks!

     

    I'd defintely go with your first choice here..Strawberry Vase Sponge. It's not a tunicate.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.