Do you know what the NEX7 max. shutter speed syncs are for interal & external flash? After fruitless searches (including the Sony NEX site and chat), Alex of Sony tech support said that the max. internal flash is 1/160 sec., BUT the max. external (hot shoe connected) is the HD link to the SONY ALPHA strobes which is the max. for the camera; 1/4000 !!!
Heads up Inon and housing manufacters.
Regards,
Bob
Max is 1/160th, NEX-5 is the same. External Hotshoe Alpha strobes have high speed sync enabled that allows 1/4000. Canon & Nikon have the same feature for their line of speedlites, but no underwater strobe will be able to do the pulses required to have High Speed Sync.
S.
Max is 1/160th, NEX-5 is the same. External Hotshoe Alpha strobes have high speed sync enabled that allows 1/4000. Canon & Nikon have the same feature for their line of speedlites, but no underwater strobe will be able to do the pulses required to have High Speed Sync.
S.
Do you think the Inons in slave mode could match 1/250 to an external Sony strobe?
Bob
1/250? The max sync speed is limited by the shutter of the camera, not by the on camera flash. I don't use Inons but my YS110a's will do S-TTL up to 1/160th with the NEX-5
S.
1/250? The max sync speed is limited by the shutter of the camera, not by the on camera flash. I don't use Inons but my YS110a's will do S-TTL up to 1/160th with the NEX-5
S.
Say you have and electrical connection to a proprietary strobe (sync @ 1/125, 1/500, ...). With the Z240 as slave and the master strobe @ 1/500, what is the min. sync interval for the slave? 1/160, 1/250, …???
Bob
Say you have and electrical connection to a proprietary strobe (sync @ 1/125, 1/500, ...). With the Z240 as slave and the master strobe @ 1/500, what is the min. sync interval for the slave? 1/160, 1/250, …???
Bob
Richard at Reef Photo Video said the Z240 will minic the master strobe.
Bob
It doesn't matter, The strobe's pulse is always faster than the shutter, to get higher shutter speeds, the camera's 2nd curtain starts closing before the 1st curtain is done. You will likely get a dark band in your photo if you exceed the rated max shutter sync speed of a camera. Regardless of mechanical or electronic shutter, there's only a certain amount of time a shutter can remain fully open.
The only way you can exceed the sync speed of your camera is to if that brand supports high speed sync and those are relegated to their own flashes. Strobes, topside or underwater can only sync as fast as the maximum rated sync speed, the HSS feature is not supported. Even strobes with TTL using the S&S or Heinrich converters do not go into HSS.
Say you have and electrical connection to a proprietary strobe (sync @ 1/125, 1/500, ...). With the Z240 as slave and the master strobe @ 1/500, what is the min. sync interval for the slave? 1/160, 1/250, …???
Bob
This is where compact cameras, and micro 4/3 cams actually beat out the larger brothers.
They lack mechanical shutters. So many can sync, truly, up to max shutter speed.
The epl2 and lx5 are among those.
EPL-2 has a sync speed of 1/180th, the LX-3 has it's own version of high speed sync, it goes up to about 1/1000 but beyond that, it says the strobe power is down by a stop, meaning the flash strobes itself, so it's not a true high speed shutter, but that's not what will be in my mind if I have to shoot a nice sunball with my 7D ;-)
This is where compact cameras, and micro 4/3 cams actually beat out the larger brothers.
They lack mechanical shutters. So many can sync, truly, up to max shutter speed.
The epl2 and lx5 are among those.
The epl2 with it's own built in flash, is much faster, I swear! I had one for a month to try out...
Maybe they are doing the HSS trick too..??
Possibly can HSS with the onboard flash, yes. Still won't with anything in a mount that's not a HSS supported flash.
Anyway: no mechanical shutter in a m4:3rds???? That's the first I've heard of it.
The new Sony A77 has an electronic first curtain shutter option (mechanical 2nd always, mechanical 1st curtain is available as not all lenses are recommended for electronic first curtain use...probably has something to do with how fast the aperture is stepped down before the actual capture operation commences). But I'd not heard that m4:3rds were no longer mechanically shuttered. They got rid of the mirror flip that fed the PDAF module...not the shutter. Same as pretty much any other "live view" use of the main sensor, there's still a shutter to actually segment the still frame.
As a new user I have to first reply to an existing topic before posting a new one but this one is quite related to the question I have in mind.
Nauticam in the press release of the NEX-7 housing indicates "Electronic sync cables will also supported via an optional bulkhead for Nikonos style connectors."
I currently have a YS-90DX with Nikonos style connector cable, so I'm wondering if this option will allow it to do TTL?
Regards
Clement
Do you know what the NEX7 max. shutter speed syncs are for interal & external flash? After fruitless searches (including the Sony NEX site and chat), Alex of Sony tech support said that the max. internal flash is 1/160 sec., BUT the max. external (hot shoe connected) is the HD link to the SONY ALPHA strobes which is the max. for the camera; 1/4000 !!!
Heads up Inon and housing manufacters.
Regards,
Bob
I currently have a YS-90DX with Nikonos style connector cable, so I'm wondering if this option will allow it to do TTL?
Hi Clement,
TTL is not possible with your YS-90DX, you ned a converter for that, but there are now TTL converters for the Sony flash protocol on the market at the moment to translet your Sony data-output into a Nikonos-protocol. The only way to use flashes with TTL for underwater with a Sony camera is to use an normal Sony Flash in a housing. I have use an Alpha 300 in this combination before i have switched to the NEX5 in Nauticam housing. Now i use an INON D-2000 and S-2000 by fiberoptic cable and it works very well. But i think you can use your YS-90DX manualy.
Tino
TTL is not possible with your YS-90DX, you ned a converter for that, but there are now TTL converters for the Sony flash protocol on the market at the moment to translet your Sony data-output into a Nikonos-protocol. The only way to use flashes with TTL for underwater with a Sony camera is to use an normal Sony Flash in a housing. I have use an Alpha 300 in this combination before i have switched to the NEX5 in Nauticam housing. Now i use an INON D-2000 and S-2000 by fiberoptic cable and it works very well. But i think you can use your YS-90DX manualy.
Tino
Thank you Tino
Yes indeed I can use my YS-90DX manually. I bought Heinrichs Weikamp type I adapter in 2003 and got "TTL" with my Powershot A70 but I obtained way better results shooting manually. The adapter only work in manual mode with my actual S-80. I can also use the slave capacity of the YS-90DX to trigger it manually.