Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Was Steve Jobs right about Flash?

Started by loftus ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Was Steve Jobs right about Flash?

4 posts
  1.  

     

    I have always agreed with Steve about Flash being a poor framework for mobile. Crummy performance, security issues, blahblah. The problem is, too many websites still use it and it keeps my iPad from being "the best Internet browsing experience available" Apple claims it is. Particularly with photography - since there are so many Flash generation tools for photo slide shows, all those sites (many of them my favorites) are off limits for iPad users. It's better now than it was a year ago, but I still utter an expletive every time I hit a site with my iPad and it tells me I need to have Flash installed.

     

    Viva HTML5, faster please.

     

    John

     

    BTW Jeff, I really liked your article in the latest issue of Underwater Journal.

  2. I have always agreed with Steve about Flash being a poor framework for mobile. Crummy performance, security issues, blahblah. The problem is, too many websites still use it and it keeps my iPad from being "the best Internet browsing experience available" Apple claims it is. Particularly with photography - since there are so many Flash generation tools for photo slide shows, all those sites (many of them my favorites) are off limits for iPad users. It's better now than it was a year ago, but I still utter an expletive every time I hit a site with my iPad and it tells me I need to have Flash installed.

     

    I agree with you on the above, it is generally a good thing not to suffer from bad Flash perfomance when using iPad/iPhone but it can be a pain when a site you "need" only works with Flash. My impression is that that is less a problem now that it was earlier however, I less frequently come across sites where Flash is really a must these days.

     

    /Marcus

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.