Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Sponge ID and Grouper ID

Started by JKrumsick ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Sponge ID and Grouper ID

6 posts
  1. So these are the last of the ID necessities for me for a long time. Thanks to everyone with their help thus far!

     

    6330089184_b6abfdc3c5_b.jpg

    xxsd_y06_m01_0083.jpg by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

     

    I am really unsure about this orange sponge. It could be an Elephant ear but I've yet to see one with these kind of excurrent openings.

     

    6330088462_c6c376da18_b.jpg

    xxgp_y08_m03_0499.jpg by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

     

    Is this a Red Hind (that's what I think) or a Graysby?

     

    Thanks!

  2. So these are the last of the ID necessities for me for a long time. Thanks to everyone with their help thus far!

     

    6330089184_b6abfdc3c5_b.jpg

    xxsd_y06_m01_0083.jpg by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

     

    I am really unsure about this orange sponge. It could be an Elephant ear but I've yet to see one with these kind of excurrent openings.

     

    6330088462_c6c376da18_b.jpg

    xxgp_y08_m03_0499.jpg by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

     

    Is this a Red Hind (that's what I think) or a Graysby?

     

    Thanks!

    My uneducated, but experienced take on the sponge is that it is a Neofibularia nolitangere Commonly referred to as a Touch me Not or Dead Red Sponge. It is quite toxic .

    Your grouper is questionable. It would be a no brainer if we could see a bit more of the dorsal fin area, and the spots associated with the Graysby.which is the direction I lean towards..

  3. Thanks Quinn! Yea I looked deeper into the descriptions of touch me not and it seems to fit the bill.

     

    This particular species of sponge has a lot of variations so it confused me.

     

    With the red hind/graysby... I am really on the fence. It could go either way... but I will put Graysby in the book (I don't know if I told you but these ID's are for a book I am helping edit).

     

    Cheers,

    Edited by Slashmagurk
  4. 100% Red Hind.

  5. Not to question you but why? I have scoured the reef ID book and the tell tale signs aren't in the photo (and the other photos of it don't show anything more than this one). The shape of the pupil looks like the red hind in the reef id book but it doesn't say that this is an identifying marker so I can't trust it.

     

    Thank!

  6. Not to question you but why? I have scoured the reef ID book and the tell tale signs aren't in the photo (and the other photos of it don't show anything more than this one). The shape of the pupil looks like the red hind in the reef id book but it doesn't say that this is an identifying marker so I can't trust it.

     

    Thank!

     

    You're perfectly right to question me. I identified it instantly as one would identify a sibling, without using "distinctive features" (i.e. you don't consciously think "brown hair, small nose, yep that's my brother"). Just don't ask me about Hamlets - They're my 3rd cousins twice removed :).

     

    There's no real easy distinctive character in your shot, but the spots on a Graysby are a little different. Compared to the Red Hind the Graysby's spots are usually a little smaller, more numerous, and more uniform. See the elongated spots behind the eye on your grouper? I have never seen those on a Graysby. I think you are right about the angular pupil too.

     

    Also, not visible in your shot, but if you can't see the distinct spots along the back (or the rounded tail) Graysby have a distinctive pebbly texture to their body. Check out this picture of a Graysby: http://reefguide.org/pixhtml/graysby7.html. You can clearly see the skin texture and perfectly round spots.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.