The Guardian reports that shark fin soup has become increasingly less popular at Chinese weddings, ostensibly due to the heavy anti-shark fin soup campaigning. It isn't the first time consumption has dropped. In the 90s, under another strong campaign, there was also a drop in consumption for months. Unfortunately, the fall of the Hong Kong economy and the meteoric rise of China changed consumption to an even more unsustainable pace. Hopefully, the trend continues.
I do feel that marine issues, particularly those relating to fisheries (of all types) have really made it into the public consciousness, in a way that I have never seen them before, in the last few years.
People in the street are really starting to care about shark, billfish and tuna fisheries - and the destructive/wasteful nature of some fishery methods.
It is a great tribute to all those who have fought for the ocean down the years and I really hope it is the beginning of the turn of the tide. Now is the time to work harder and see this through.
Alex
Alex, unfortunately, the people in power are older and hence less likely to be as progressive thinking, unless there's money in it. I actually feel the best chance of stemming this tide was actually in the 80s when the Politburo was run by Deng. But then it wasn't that big of an issue (although the finning was already rampant back then!).