Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

SS Tuggerah

Started by Pete L ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

SS Tuggerah

5 posts
  1. A short video of my dive today on the tuggerah. Conditions were really good.

    Hope you like & feel free to give any feedback please.

    Cheers Pete.

     

    [vimeohd]31991132[/vimeohd]

  2. A short video of my dive today on the tuggerah. Conditions were really good.

    Hope you like & feel free to give any feedback please.

    Cheers Pete.

    I wished we had that kind of viz on wrecks here in SoCal... although Tec Divers may enjoy that. 48 m let's me think that you were tec diving anyhow (although there was one single cylinder diver - what the heck was he doing at 48 m, the diver at the end clearly had a set of doubles -and a crooked reg in his mouth!). Your video also reminded me why I am not diving wrecks with photographers: those damn strobes!!!

    One thing I was not to keen on personally, was the transition from topside to underwater footage... Wouldn't you want to cross-dissolve (in spiral if you want to) rather than spiraling to black? And if I may say, your topside footage was a tad short: I've never been in Australia, I want to see more of it! Underwater, all fish look the same... :)

    Keep up posting!

    Edited by uwxplorer
  3. Yeah the viz was pretty good. The top 20 metres was green & dirty but once we dropped below 20metres then it just turned to blue water!

    Yes it is a tec dive, i spent about 25 minutes on the bottom & a total dive time of around 70 minutes so plenty of deco to do!

    Having a video camera on deco really makes the time fly, you can sit there & watch back everything you shot!

    I am still very much learning the editing side & actually the shooting side also so that is exactly the feedback i am looking for, thankyou.

    By cross dissolve, do you mean where the two clips transition on top of each other?

    As for the topside, i will start to shoot some more top side stuff also. I didn't really think of shooting too much topside at the time but will definately keep that in mind!

    My next video i am making is from a recent weekend in nelsons bay but once again i didn't really shoot any topside footage.

    This is only the 4th video i have made!

    Cheers Pete.

  4. This is only the 4th video i have made!

    Cheers Pete.

     

    Good job! I am still learning myself, having started a couple of years ago, so I cannot be of much advice. In general, use no transition or the simplest unless you want to convey a special meaning (say, a "page turn" when you move on to shots of another part of the wreck, for instance). Fancy stuff is distracting. I don't have any good tip for topside-to-underwater transitions (or inversely). I have used various things: curtain, dip to black, dissolve... or nothing. What I do use though, is a different track (still haven't listen to yours :-(. The transition I choose depends a lot on the tempos of the two tracks.

    BTW, how are you holding your housing? I found that in motion, holding my housing one handed helps buffering the unavoidable body motion. And a lot of time, when "immobile" in the surgy conditions we have in SoCal , I end up holding something with my left hand anyhow :-).

    But again, I may have it all wrong!

  5. I think i will just stick to cross fades, i do like them!

    I mostly shoot one handed & lately i have been favouring my left hand, even though i am right handed. I can use the auto/manual focus knob with my middle finger while still holding the handle.

    I have now got the float for the top of my housing & i am finding that has made a big difference as it is almost neutrally bouyant & sooo much easier to operate.

    Cheers Pete

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.