Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon 12-24 versus Nikon 10-24

Started by pdemaagt ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon 12-24 versus Nikon 10-24

9 posts
  1. Unfortunately my Nikon 12-24 didn’t survive the last trip I made (it simply broke while in the photobag).

     

    I am wandering to simply get another 12-24mm f/4 or go for the DX 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5.

     

    Who has experience with these two lenses? The webpage indicated that it is internal focusing but the NIKOR code doesn’t include “IF”…

     

    I also suppose that I can use the same domeport/extension ring for both.

     

    The size of the lenses are the same and I hope that the entrance pupil will be more or less at the same place.

    All commens welcome

     

    Peter

  2. I have been keen to do a back to back test for Wetpixel. I will try and source some lenses for Cayman in January - so I can test them both.

     

    Alex

  3. Unfortunately my Nikon 12-24 didn't survive the last trip I made (it simply broke while in the photobag).

     

    I am wandering to simply get another 12-24mm f/4 or go for the DX 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5.

     

    Who has experience with these two lenses? The webpage indicated that it is internal focusing but the NIKOR code doesn't include "IF"…

     

    I also suppose that I can use the same domeport/extension ring for both.

     

    The size of the lenses are the same and I hope that the entrance pupil will be more or less at the same place.

    All commens welcome

    Funny thing, I was researching just the same question for my GF. She can't go with the Tokina 10-17 because she shoots a D60 - no pin drive AF.

     

    Aquatica uses the same port, port shade, gear, and extension.

  4. I have been keen to do a back to back test for Wetpixel. I will try and source some lenses for Cayman in January - so I can test them both.

     

    Alex

     

     

    It is very likely that I will go for the 10-24. I know you have the 12-24, so together we would have both :-) So you can then do your test if you want to in the Cayman.

    Peter

  5. I sold the 12-24mm several years ago when I bought the D700. But I suspect I can find one to borrow. I am giving a talk to an UW Photo Group in the UK the night before leaving for Cayman - maybe one of them can lend me a lens.

     

    Will have to borrow some gears too.

     

    Alex

  6. I sold the 12-24mm several years ago when I bought the D700. But I suspect I can find one to borrow. I am giving a talk to an UW Photo Group in the UK the night before leaving for Cayman - maybe one of them can lend me a lens.

     

    Will have to borrow some gears too.

     

    Alex

    12-24 zoomgear I have and will bring it to the Cayman......

  7. 10-24 has much better corner sharpness in the domes that I've tested...

  8. 10-24 has much better corner sharpness in the domes that I've tested...

     

     

    Hi Ryan, thanks. It seems to become clear that the 10-24 is a good choice.

  9. Hi

    I use a 12/24 with a 4x diopter & get great corner sharpness this is using a W/Port with a short extender.

     

    Andy :)

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.