Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Seafan spider crab - Maldives

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Seafan spider crab - Maldives

3 posts
  1. I have photographed these several times but never sure of ID. Suspect a species of Xenocarcinus. They are considerably smaller than Xenocarcinus conicus, more cryptic and tend not to move (which is why I have photographed them!).

     

    post-713-1321878522.jpg

     

    These were taken at night in the Maldives. In fact I have only photographed them in the Maldives - don't remember looking/finding them elsewhere. Although suspect they are - despite their lack of appearance in the ID books I have here.

     

    Alex

  2. Hi Alex -- I think you may be right. What a well camouflaged little guy! There are currently 7 species in the genus only a few of which are well known to divers and worm girls. It will take an IP crab expert to puzzle this one out for us.

  3. Thanks Leslie!

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.