I want to test a new camera housing with dual strobes out in a pool next week and while I am an experienced photographer, I will literally be taking the equipment out of their boxes for the first time. The only gear I have any familiarity with is the D3S and lenses.
As a new diver I am not ready to take my camera in open water yet but should have no trouble kneeling on the bottom of a pool next week to help shoot underwater Santa pictures. I'll definitely try some shots while attempting to stay horizontal a few feet off the bottom.
If I can figure out the housing controls, trying different settings and strobe positions shouldn't be a problem but I would like some settings to start with.
For a D3S in an Aquatica housing my thought was to use a 14 -24 with a 9 ¼" glass dome. Corner sharpness is not a concern and in fact soft corners could be a benefit. I also have a macro port, 60 and 105 macro lenses, a 15mm FE sigma and a 24 – 70.
I have two Ikelite DS-161 strobes connected with 2 x 2 ea. 8" ultralight strobe arms. We have the pool at night and lighting is poor so I don't think ambient light will work very well but I will test a few shots. Using high ISO with the D3S is not a concern. I need to study up on the strobe settings but I assume I can set the main light at around half power and the fill light a stop or two lower? I might learn water diffuses the light so fast that different power settings won't give me the subtle shading I look for when shooting portraits.
I would like to start about F8 if the pool wall isn't too ugly. I might even look around for a background I can drape over the side of the pool. With strobe 1/60 ss should be fine. I am equally comfortable with iTTL or manual. I was thinking about putting one strobe off to one side for the main light and position the fill light high over the opposite side of the camera.
Thanks.
George