Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Worm from Beangabang Bay, Indonesia

Started by echeng ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Worm from Beangabang Bay, Indonesia

5 posts
  1. Lesley - this worm we found during a night dive in Beangabang Bay is pictured in one of the ID books, but is listed as being undescribed. Do you have more current information? :)

    It came out when we used red focus lights to observe its behavior, but shrank back in its tube when white light was used.

    echeng111101_191050.jpg

    echeng111101_191305.jpg

    echeng111101_191314.jpg

    echeng111101_191646.jpg

  2. Could be Diopatra sp., I'm sure Lesley will know or correct me.

  3. Brian's right (good work Grasshopper).... genus Diopatra, family Onuphidae. Easy ID - 5 antennae, tube builder, and the anterior gills are stalked with small filaments arranged in spirals. None of the other onuphids have spiralled branchiae. There aren't any photo records of this with a species name attached that I know of but I'll look in my literature files. A number of species are described from the region so maybe I can find something. Matt S also photographed this on a prior trip.

     

    One cool thing about Diopatra species is that they're farmers. Many species like to attach algae to their tubes. It gives them camouflage, attracts other animals which they may eat, and they often eat the algae themselves.

  4. I'm not sure if Drew or I ever posted the ones we found in Anilao a few years back - as Leslie mentions they're just about identical, though.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.