We found this, and several others, in a hole. It's shell (?) is about 1.5cm high. It's head doesn't seem to have any features or sense organs, making it very strange.. Any ideas?
[vimeohd]32395983[/vimeohd]
Critter Identification / Archived topic
Started by liquidguru ·
Read-only discussion
We found this, and several others, in a hole. It's shell (?) is about 1.5cm high. It's head doesn't seem to have any features or sense organs, making it very strange.. Any ideas?
[vimeohd]32395983[/vimeohd]
It's a odd little bivalve and I'm being very stupid this morning, can't remember the name. Anyway, there's a number of these which act much more like snails than clams. Their shelves are covered with a fleshy layer, can be smooth & translucent or papillated like the one you shot. I'll have to look it up.
Okay, brain kicked in. Family Galeommatidae, genus Scintilla or Galeomma or something like that. Check these out -
http://www.poppe-images.com/?t=17&photoid=955799
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/reefs/guamimg/bivalvia/index.html
http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/mol...e/scintilla.htm
Many thanks Leslie. I appreciate, as always, the help and references.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.