Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Steve Jobs Biography

Started by loftus ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Steve Jobs Biography

10 posts
  1. Anyone read the new Steve Jobs Biography? Really fascinating; makes one really appreciate Apple products even more, and makes me understand why I've always been so fascinated by them. Wish we'd see such attention to design in our cameras.....

  2. I think you wish that Nikon introduced new products as regularly as Apple does!

     

    Alex

  3. Highly recommended, a wonderful read. I just wish American car makers would hire Apple to help them with their business model.

  4. I think you wish that Nikon introduced new products as regularly as Apple does!

     

    Alex

    :) You may have a point; no it's just amazing to see the passion for the product that he had, and his conviction that control of all aspects of the product from software to hardware to retail sales makes a huge difference to the ultimate user experience. Also reaffirms my conviction about the inferiority of Windows products - particularly as I have a non-functional Windows machine at the office at the moment due to a virus, that repeated visits by the tech guy and online support (wasted hours), all at my expense of course, are unable to fix. ARGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!

    Edited by loftus
  5. Fascinating book. I read it on my iPad (of course).

     

    After reading it, I liked Steve Jobs less, but was awed by his genius more.

  6. Yes, hard to like. Particularly as he was apparently not too fond of showering. At least in the early years. :)

  7. I find it fascinating that Steve Jobs never cared about market research or feed back from the public. His attitude was 'Why bother checking in with a public that doesn't know what they will want until we create it'. This generally didn't create problems until the advent of Final Cut Pro X but it is my impression that X will grow with time. Whether that will before FCP users abandon ships first and never come back is another story. Then again, AVID is in desperate financial straights and if they go under, there will be limited choices for many production houses, most of whom are set up with Mac stations.

    Steve

  8. He was an amazing individual.

  9. I wonder whether Apple can maintain it's edge in overall quality.

     

    Steve Jobs was known to be absolutely uncompromising in terms of quality control with the products AND he was a total hands-on guy giving his input on almost everything Apple makes. I wonder if the issues with Final Cut Pro X aren't an indicator of things to come. In the last year, Steve gave it everything he had, but obviously he was deteriorating and couldn't be as involved as in the past.

     

    So far, my newest 2011 Macbook Pro is yet another device which is wonderfully well built and OSX just chugs along. I hope Apple stays status quo with the quality of their products.

     

    JP

  10. Steve Jobs never really paid much attention to the editing applications which is why FCPX was created primarily by the individual who developed iMovie; and thus the many similarities. He was mainly a gadget guy and, yes, he had very high standards for them and could be quite demanding of his workers. The integration of Final Cut Studio was greatly ignored by Jobs as the Motion team had very little contact with the FCP team as well as the other apps. I believe that, while few are happy with X, it will grow into a fairly powerful app with time. For those new to editing and on a Mac, it is the one to get. For legacy users of FCP, like myself, it has been a bit of a pain to relearn new lexicon, new keyboard shortcuts and a new workflow. I have learned that the media management in FCX is vastly superior to that used in legacy versions. I have also learned that there seem to be a ton of glitches and bugs in the 10.0.2 update. A major update is expected sometime in Feb. I hope.

    Steve

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.