Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sea and Sea RDX-600 or Nauticam NA-600D

Started by gee13 ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea and Sea RDX-600 or Nauticam NA-600D

10 posts
  1. Hi All

     

    Just looking for some opinions about choice regarding the two housings for the 600D.

     

    Pros and Cons which include size/weight/durability/pricing with a factor for future upgrades with the lenses Im planning to use. Tokina 10-17 and Canon 60mm.

     

    Im also planning to use a 4" dome.

     

    My consideration is that the Nauticam is going to provide everything I would need - a major factor I travel a lot and the lighter/ more compact is ideal.

     

    Anyone with direct experience that can offer thoughts Id appreciate.

     

    I have looked back to July on the posts and cant seem to find much info or reviews of the S&S housing or even the Nauticam for the 600D. If I have missed anything please post a direct link to them.

     

    Thanks very much.

    Edited by gee13
  2. We have a Nauticam 600D out for review at the moment, details should follow very soon.

  3. Caveat - I sell both...here's some opinions for what they're worth...I'm trying to give a balanced view...

     

    The RDX is a good quality, entry level plastic housing, and it's controls are pretty good, better than Ike, at about the same price level. It's somewhat heavy, surprisingly. Controls aren't all that ergomomic, but decent, you'd get used to them. It does not come with handles and a tray, and they will add $150-300 to it alone.

     

    It can use S&S NX Ports, but you have to adapt them with an RDX port base. There is only one RDX Standard Port. There are gears for a decent selection of lenses, but not as many as you'd like. You can use the Port Base L + the Zen dome ST with it.

     

    IMHO, the S&S Port Charts are a bit bewildering, as they have changed parts, especially on the macro side and you will need up to 3 parts for one lens, plus a gear. I've seen no less than 3 different p/n for the same or nearly the same ports now. Hopefully this will improve.

     

    I think the RDX housing is a good place to start - if you're not planning on expanding it - or you are planning on moving up to an MDX DSLR housing in the future.

     

    Nauticam: I shot the NA-600D prototype in Sept. I'm a Nikon guy, so I was gritting my teeth a bit, but got some good images. I have to say I really do like the Canon sensor.

     

    The housing was great, very well layed-out, good controls, ergonomic, balance and weight quite good. Nice and small for a DSLR. Big difference is that it's highly-machined aluminum. It includes the handles, btw. Has locking ports, a leak detector (the RDX doesn't) and a great selction of ports and gears, easy to use and understand. For instance you can buy the 60mm macro port and then just use a 30mm ext for the 100mm macro. Both are threaded for a diopter. I just spec'd one for the 150mm Sigma macro, several options, but easy to figure out. I wouldn't even attempt it with S&S.

     

    The Nauticam is much cheaper and easier to expand on. And you won't be throwing away port bases if you change bodies later.

     

    As to the costs - This is where it gets interesting.

     

    I've just done some comparison quotes of both systems with setting up a Tok 10-17 in a Zen 4" dome, a 60mm and a 100mm. Because of the tray/handles and all the adapters that the RDX/S&S requires to use their new threaded macro ports (and I wouldn't go without - you need the working distance) - the costs of both systems becomes very close - within around $400 or so. And really, you have a much nicer aluminum housing with the Nauticam and less parts to pack.

     

    Hope that helps,

     

    Jack

     

    6024458282_aee8414ff3_z.jpg

     

    6023903721_8083eba6e0_z.jpg

    Edited by JackConnick
  4. Many Thanks Jack for this very informative angle regarding the 2 housing options. Alex I look forward to the review.

  5. Jack should I also consider Aquatica? Or are there similar limitations compared to Nauticam? I notice they onl have a housing for the 550D T2i so not sure about availability of the 600D in Aquatica?

  6. Jack should I also consider Aquatica? Or are there similar limitations compared to Nauticam? I notice they onl have a housing for the 550D T2i so not sure about availability of the 600D in Aquatica?

     

    They don't have a T3i, only T2i at the present time.

    Jack

  7. Jack How is this T2i housing to use then? Should I consider this as a slightly cheaper alternative to Nauticam or should I just go Nauticam? How does the Aquatica T2i compare with the Nauticam 600D in dimensions - size and weight.

  8. Jack How is this T2i housing to use then? Should I consider this as a slightly cheaper alternative to Nauticam or should I just go Nauticam? How does the Aquatica T2i compare with the Nauticam 600D in dimensions - size and weight.

     

    Ah man, you're going to get me in trouble with Chris or Jean...

    There's things to like about either. Shoot me a PM/email or call me and we can go over your specific questions off-line.

    Jack

  9. Hey Gav - you moving to the darkside???

     

    Karl

  10. Hey Karl, Shhhhhhhhh... Im finding it hard to leave you guys...just window shopping atm ;)

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.