Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sensor cleaning

Started by Fontaine ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Sensor cleaning

5 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    My sensor is stupidly dirty, it doesn't show up on macro shots but on WA it is noticeable and on video it is distracting. I have two problems, one is ive never done it and I dont really trust a biased website which is selling a product, to tell me which product I should buy to do the job, so I was hoping i could learn from your experiences which sensor cleaning kits are best for cleaning serious hairs and dust which seem to be fused to my sensor, dry cleaning will not do the trick.

     

    Also i am careful when changing lenses, but I guess im not careful enough, is this a common issue?

     

    My second problem is I live in Indonesia and cant seem to find any online site that will allow me to buy a sensor cleaning kit and deliver it Bali, I know its a long shot but has anybody had this done in Bali, Singapore, Jakarta or Hong Kong, or for that matter purchased the kit in any of these places? My wife was instructed to buy one or have somebody do it in Singapore but after going to 5 camera shops gave up...

     

    Appreciate any help!

     

    Fontaine

  2. The strange thing is that it doesn´t show up on macro (when we usually have higher f-numbers). In order to really see how much dust/stuff you have on your sensor, do this: put a macro lens at its highest f-number, manual focus to infinity and shoot to a close white surface (paper, wall...) with a strobe. If it is finally very dirty I would use Eclipse swabs and liquid (I only use it once a year more or less) which is what works for me. Don´t be too afraid of the cleaning operation, as you will not be cleaning the sensor itself but the fairly strong AA-IR filter that is on top of the sensor.

     

    In the past I also used isopropyl alcohol applied with optical cleaning paper (Hama, Kodak...) with success.

  3. A really easy way to clean sensors, assuming you have some kind of mirror lock up, is with clean air under light (light!) pressure. You can usually blow the sensor clean before needing to try using isopropyl. Find a scuba tank and add a small nozzle to it to act as a blower, don't use full pressure obviously since you might damage the sensor, but something modulated down works fairly well.

     

    HTH

  4. A really easy way to clean sensors, assuming you have some kind of mirror lock up, is with clean air under light (light!) pressure. You can usually blow the sensor clean before needing to try using isopropyl. Find a scuba tank and add a small nozzle to it to act as a blower, don't use full pressure obviously since you might damage the sensor, but something modulated down works fairly well.

     

    HTH

     

    The rapid change in volume cools the air and generates condensation that is a big enemy as you could blow drops of water over the sensor. Besides, blowing air will not clean the greaselike dirt/spots on the sensors. We are all afraid of cleaning the sensor for first time but, after a couple times, it becomes fairly easy.

  5. Yea my spots will not come off with dry cleaning, i have tried using a blower.

     

    Thanks for the tips guys!

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.