Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

WHOOPS!!! help please?

Started by DeanB ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

WHOOPS!!! help please?

11 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    A few weeks ago my gorgeous little daughter decided my MacBook Pro was a little thirsty and tipped Grapefruit juice on it... To cut a long story short (theres a song there somewhere) its buggered...

     

    Question: The hardrive is apparently unaffected so how do i transfer data from the old to my new one??? Can any of you lovely peeps recommend software or any other process

     

    Ta very much

     

    Dean

  2. Hi all,

     

    A few weeks ago my gorgeous little daughter decided my MacBook Pro was a little thirsty and tipped Grapefruit juice on it... To cut a long story short (theres a song there somewhere) its buggered...

     

    Question: The hardrive is apparently unaffected so how do i transfer data from the old to my new one??? Can any of you lovely peeps recommend software or any other process

     

    Ta very much

     

    Dean

     

     

    First thing, make sure you remember the details for further use when she gets older and gives you guff about it :D

     

    Can you boot it into Firewire mode still (Hold down the T Key when booting?) If so you can clone the drive to another drive. Carbon Copy Cloner is one that is donation ware and works well. (Depending on the OS on the drive it may not boot a newer Macbook Pro, but you can get the data. Can even copy to another partition in a new computer then upgrade the OS)

     

    Otherwise an option is having the HD removed and put in a enclosure and do the same thing. Not sure if you work inside laptops (I tend to let others work on them, towers I do myself) but you can also get some service places to do it for not too much money.

     

    If the hard drive is damaged you my need to use some software for recovering damaged files.

  3. It is very easy to remove the drive from a MacBook Pro and mount into an enclosure. You could then copy the data off it.

     

    Other World Computing has videos and other guides that will help.

  4. Oh i will definately be reminding the little lady all about it... She owes me about 12yrs of pocket money :D:)

     

    Cheers guys... as soon as the lovely and prompt insurance people get back to me I will try out your tips

     

    Dean

  5. Plus one on what ATJ said. I changed the hard drive in my macbook pro the same way.

  6. I bought a disc caddy/toaster thing from Maplin - which has helped me do this a couple of times.

     

    Alex

  7. You might also want to consider, for the future, making a complete system backup every week or so. I use a specific external drive partitioned for both my MBP and Mac Pro and run 'Super Duper' to complete the back up. The first time you do it, it will take a while to complete but after that, it does a Smart Back Up and only copies any changes that have been made. Been using it for years without a single issue. I do prefer it to Carbon Copy Cloner but am not totally sure why.

    Steve

  8. I do prefer it to Carbon Copy Cloner but am not totally sure why.

     

     

    SUper Duper will clone, but to do incremental clones (the smart backup) you need to purchase it. CCC will do incremental back-ups also, but no need to donate (though good karma to donate/click through the ads on the screen) I have found CCC a bit easier for the last few years, and I think I have used about 5 different software Back Ups. I actually run them every day on everything. Actually clone a couple of my 8 TB Raid 0s everyday. (Take awhile the first time.) Also have a couple of Raid 5s that I also clone. Lose some data once and you get REAL paranoid. I mean diligent. :D

  9. Jeez Louise !!! That's more clones than Star Wars!!!

     

    I always archive images/ clips etc to EXT HDD's ... However i will be more paranoid... Sorry diligent in future

     

    Dean

  10. I just had ProSoft send me their Data Rescue software to test and review if I wanted. I deleted some clips from an external and installed and ran the Data Rescue. It successfully brought back that which I had deleted. More testing to do however.

    Steve

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.