Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

A "Home Depot" Snoot...

Started by newmanl ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

A "Home Depot" Snoot...

11 posts
  1. Hi Folks,

     

    Over the last little while I've been looking at macro images where the shooter used a snoot and then came across an article that explained how to make one. So, after a quick trip to the local Home Depot, I'm in the snoot business! The biggest reason I decided to try a snoot was to eliminate the often busy and distracting backgrounds from macro images. Here are some of my recent attempts.

     

    IMG_1000.jpg

     

    IMG_1076.jpg

     

    IMG_1117.jpg

     

    IMG_1216.jpg

     

    Thanks!

     

    Lee

  2. I like the last two the best. Have a picture of the set up?

  3. Nice shots - I like the last one best. Looking forward to more shots with your homemade snoot. Ditto on the setup pic

     

    DiverPam

  4. Thanks Paul, thanks Pam.

     

    Here's a photo of the snoot on one of my DS-160's. It is a two-part snoot - one 3"to 2" rubber plumbing adapter and a Rigid Wet/Dry shop vac fitting (can't remember the name of the part). The Rigid fitting fits perfectly into the 2" opening on the plumbing adapter and the 3" part of that fits perfectly over the front of a DS-160. Easiest, and cheapest, thing I've ever seen for u/w photography!

     

    Hope this helps...

     

    IMG_0924b.jpg

  5. That's pretty cool and looks down right professional.

  6. Wow! nice "McGyver"! I'll have to try that.

     

    JP

  7. Thanks Paul, thanks John!

     

    Lee

  8. Someone's getting ready for their new toy... :D

     

    heh heh

  9. Hey Stewart,

     

    I've been getting ready for my new toy for the last three years! ; )

     

    Lee

  10. Any tin foil or reflective paint on the inside to keep the strobe power up or just black plastic ?

  11. Hi Giles,

     

    Nothing done to the inside - just black plastic. I was prepared to modify the inside to make it more reflective, but it doesn't appear to be necessary - to my eye anyway.

     

    Lee

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.