Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Acanthuridae (Surgeonfish) from Cyprus to be identified

Started by HelmutCarl ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Acanthuridae (Surgeonfish) from Cyprus to be identified

3 posts
  1. Hi all!

     

    Near the village of Xylophagou/Cyprus/Eastern Mediterranean I found a few days ago at the end of the dive in 4m to 5m deep water an Acanthuridae (Surgeonfish) that looks for me very similar to the juvenile phase of Acanthurus coeruleus (Blue Atlantic Tang) but the distribution map does not really fit.

    An other idea was Ctenochaetus truncatus but again the distribution ... fishbowl.gif

    Any help in identification is appreciated.

     

    post-33093-1323196752.jpg

    post-33093-1323196761.jpg

    post-33093-1323196771.jpg

    post-33093-1323196783.jpg

    post-33093-1323196801.jpg

  2. It does look like a juvenile blue tang! Does anyone have an aquarium near by?

     

    I will have a think about Red Sea juvenile surgeonfish. As the Sewage Canal is the most like source of tropical fish in the Eastern Med.

     

    Alex

  3. It does look like a juvenile blue tang! Does anyone have an aquarium near by?

    Alex

     

    I actually do not know about aquaria near by but I can report the following:

    A member of the dive center I booked my dives with (Viking Divers - Larnaka) told me that he actually came across this fish three times last year (at Cape Greco, the Zenobia ship wreck and around the same spot where I found it) but had not seen it this year so far. And he told me he talked to several people but everyones response was to stop bragging about a just yellow fish. By the way he had no clear images of the fish.

     

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.