Well at least this brings an end to the 'does the bottle trick really work' debate...
[youtubehd]zgclsxKrydI[/youtubehd]
Read-only discussion
Well at least this brings an end to the 'does the bottle trick really work' debate...
[youtubehd]zgclsxKrydI[/youtubehd]
Well at least this brings an end to the 'does the bottle trick really work' debate...
Kinda makes me think about my sig line I normally use in the motorcycle forum I admin... Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
Looks like a bull shark. The guy is lucky it didn't come to do a full investigatory bite. Bottle trick works well... too well sometimes. The safer way to do it is to have eyes covering 360° and stop once the shark is within 8m or so. They will hang around for a few seconds at least.
Was that shot on a gopro? Looked like the focus was off?
Bullshark, I had that without the freeking bottle!
But yeah you need to be back to back with your buddy if you want to play that game!
Apparently when you wave a bottle in front of a lions face it will also attack....look forward to seeing the video...
Looks like a bull shark. The guy is lucky it didn't come to do a full investigatory bite. Bottle trick works well... too well sometimes. The safer way to do it is to have eyes covering 360° and stop once the shark is within 8m or so. They will hang around for a few seconds at least.Was that shot on a gopro? Looked like the focus was off?
Yep, i've used this trick before with success many times also. i have also seen it not work at all (maybe there were no sharks in the area!). i've found a spear gun rubber works much better though.
Hmm, not sure about the GoPro. i should have mentioned i have nothing to do with these fools, the video was just passed onto me through facebook..
i wish they had left the comments section open, would have made a amusing read....
Kinda makes me think about my sig line I normally use in the motorcycle forum I admin... Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
Yes, indeed! That phrase is otherwise known as the most common last words spoken by rednecks. Closely followed by the second most common last words, "Heck, I can do that"
LOL That's a little harsh. These guys tried to have a little fun but forgot some basic rules. I'm pretty sure they were narced at 57m on air. Looking at the video, the bull shark was on a straight line right at the bottle. Judging by how fast the shark came into the pic, he should've stopped cracking the bottle at least 10 seconds before he did to minimize the risk of a bump.
But that shark sure looked determined!
Despite being at 57 m and not really watching out for each other, which might not be the wisest thing to do, I must say I find this incredibly cool. I had no idea that sharks could be tempted to come so close!!!! with just a plastic bottle. Is this generally possible when sharks are around, or is it specific to some species of sharks?
And no, I am not a redneck. But I sure would like to see sharks a little bit closer than I usually get to see them and preferably without feeding them. Then again, this was a little bit to close!
Bent C
Despite being at 57 m and not really watching out for each other, which might not be the wisest thing to do, I must say I find this incredibly cool. I had no idea that sharks could be tempted to come so close!!!! with just a plastic bottle. Is this generally possible when sharks are around, or is it specific to some species of sharks?
And no, I am not a redneck. But I sure would like to see sharks a little bit closer than I usually get to see them and preferably without feeding them. Then again, this was a little bit to close!
Bent C
Yep it works, lots of people will tell you its a waste of time and turn there noses up at it, but i've used this method or been part of a group thats used this method with great success. You can see from the vid it works hahaha... in komodo we were crouched down with our backs to a over hang at castle rock and we were literally surrounded by white tips after a few minutes... at protea banks, south africa i have been mobbed by bull and spinner sharks... Im going back there soon, it will be tiger shark season we'll see how that goes hahaha...
Another great trick is firing a unloaded spear gun, i dont know if its the vibrations giving off the signals of a distressed fish (there usual prey) that brings them close or if they associated the noise of a spear gun with a trail of dead fish- easy pickings!!
i wouldnt fancy trying it at 54 mtrs though in low vis with just my buddy, ohhh no!
also if you are going to try it make sure you equalise your bottle or you will find you have nothing but a crumpled piece of plastic to carry around with you ![]()
also if you are going to try it make sure you equalise your bottle or you will find you have nothing but a crumpled piece of plastic to carry around with you
Well the idea is to fill the bottle with air once you get to depth. Carrying it full of air is just an annoyance. Oh and remember to bring it back on the boat... no need for more plastics in the ocean!
And wear a nappy/diaper...
Dean
Wish he had used another housing for his go pro. Then again, with such an excitement, I guess focus was not the first thing on his mind.
steve
Very funny to watch..... I reckon he won't be doing that again for a while.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.