Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Gear value. Thinking of upgrading...

Started by crf450r420 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Gear value. Thinking of upgrading...

4 posts
  1. I recently bought a Nikon D700 and love it. I'm thinking about getting a housing for it, but I am going to require myself to sell the current gear first. Problem is I have no clue what this old gear is worth in the market. I was hoping I could get some help with that here.

     

    I just bought a new Pelican 1620 foam filled case and placed everything in it, so I have a complete ready to ship/travel dive camera setup. Everything is in really good shape. The flash housing port has a small scuff and that is about the only damage. Here is the gear list:

     

    Nikon D100

    Nikkor AF-S 24-85

    Nikkor AF Micro 60mm 1:2.8 D

    Nikon Speedlight SB-80 DX

    Seacam housing with Pro viewfinder

    Seacam seaflash

    Seacam short straight port

    Seacam short dome port (never used)

    couple flash cables

    short and long flash support arm

    batteries for everything, but no extra batteries.

     

    And of course all in a nice ready to go Pelican case.

     

    Thanks for any input.

  2. Hi,

    it is worth what people will pay of it. i have just sold my Seacam D200 housing with the camera body batteries boxed after a long long wait & dropped the price from £2000.00 GBP to £1200 when it was sold, both were like new.

    So for what I paid new the difference when sold went down by 2/3rds. Strobes seem to hold prices a bit better, what I would do would be to hold on to the items you will still need like strobes, arms,cables, the 60mm micro lens, check to see if the ports

    can be used with a new housing. Also if you look at the classified adds here on wetpixel, their is a Seacam D700 housing for sale, also you can see how much people are selling bits & pieces for.

    Hope this helps,

     

    Andy :):uwphotog:

  3. Hi,

    it is worth what people will pay of it. i have just sold my Seacam D200 housing with the camera body batteries boxed after a long long wait & dropped the price from £2000.00 GBP to £1200 when it was sold, both were like new.

    So for what I paid new the difference when sold went down by 2/3rds. Strobes seem to hold prices a bit better, what I would do would be to hold on to the items you will still need like strobes, arms,cables, the 60mm micro lens, check to see if the ports

    can be used with a new housing. Also if you look at the classified adds here on wetpixel, their is a Seacam D700 housing for sale, also you can see how much people are selling bits & pieces for.

    Hope this helps,

     

    Andy :):uwphotog:

     

    So, I'd be looking at maybe a grand US for it. Probably not worth selling at all. I do like your idea of using the current hardware on the new housing. I can be shooting pics for less, then I was thinking I might get a couple grand for it. I'll be looking into that ASAP. Thanks for the help.

  4. my opinion- you are best off, if upgrading to the same manufacturer of housing, just keeping the old housing for parts. They dont fetch much once used and with older technology for the camera bits. I am going to start a housing museum some day with all my old film and digital housings. I never have to spend on minor part repairs though-amazing how many of the gears and switches are the same one model to the next.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.