Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Batteries

Started by kyzy23 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Batteries

4 posts
  1. What are the restrictions/regulations for airlines regarding batteries? Should they be on carried on or in checked luggage?

  2. What are the restrictions/regulations for airlines regarding batteries? Should they be on carried on or in checked luggage?

    We do both (AA rechargeable and spare batteries for still/video cameras) and have never been hassled. When we were using the giant NiMH batteries for the Niteriders though we always got calls to come to baggage handling and let them know what they were.

    Bill

  3. I carry lots of rechargeable batteries, both in carry on and in checked. Always align the positive and negative ends: I use battery boxes now, but used electrical or duct tape in the past. I have never had an issue. I carry my lithium batteries for my FixLight in my carry-on. Again, no hassles, except in the USA, where they seen unfamiliar and paranoid about everything shrink wrapped in black plastic. Go figure.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  4. They only issue I have ever had was when flying out of Marsa Alam in Egypt. The check-in x-ray picked up on a couple of boxes of AA's and I was asked to show them to the security staff who told I was told that the batteries could not be taken onboard. Leave 48 NiMh AA's behind? Not on your nelly!

     

    This attitude is not uncommon at Egyptian airports when security staff are confronted by something they are unsure of. The 'get out of jail free card' is to show them your passport containing dozens of Egyptian entry visas and state that you always travel with batteries for camera systems, that you are well aware of the baggage regulations and that there is no restriction on putting rechargeable batteries in hold luggage. Hold your ground and everything will be fine :)

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.