Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Underwater and Over Water Lenses

Started by gee13 ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Underwater and Over Water Lenses

2 posts
  1. So I looking at some lenses for Canon DSLR. Have narrowed down to the Canon 60mm and Tokina 10-17 to start of with. Yes orthodox combination I know. But the main question is for Over Water what can I use for land photography? Particularly Landscapes and mid range zoom?

     

    I hear the kit 18-55mm lens is average at best. However the 17-85mm is quite a good step up.

     

    Also 50mm is good for portraits - Will the 60mm be fairly close that I can use them for portraits as well Over Water?

     

    So If I would like to travel light and I have my 2 trusty uw lenses and dont want to lug around too many.

     

    What else would I need to be able to take 1) Landscapes 2) Portraits

     

    And which of these Overwater Lenses would also be workable underwater?

     

    Thoughts and experienced feedback appreciated.

    Edited by gee13
  2. The 60mm is a great lens uw and is supposed to be a good portrait lens as well, though I can't confirm the latter as I don't do portraits. As for the general purpose lens, I use a Tamron 17-50 f2.8. It's my default lens top-side and is pretty good uw if you use a 8in dome or a diopter. Otherwise the lens will be very blurry on the outside.

     

    The tokina 10-17 is somewhat of a special purpose lens. I really like it, but as a fish-eye it wouldn't be in my 2 lens kit. If you would like something a bit wider than the 17-50', I would suggest a Tokina 12-24. It works very well both top-side and uw.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.