Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Thar she blows! Dead whale explodes.

Started by echeng ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Thar she blows! Dead whale explodes.

16 posts
  1. Thar she blows! Dead whale explodes.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/Default.aspx?id=4096586&p1=0

     

    "TAIPEI - Residents of Tainan learned a lesson in whale biology after the decomposing remains of a 60-ton sperm whale exploded on a busy street, showering nearby cars and shops with blood and organs and stopping traffic for hours." ...

     

    040129_exploding_whale_hlrg_8a.hlarge.jpg

  2. correction

    I think you meant to say "Thar she blows"

  3. oh yeah. sorry. :) typically, I: type,type,type,submit,closewindow.

     

    But I should probably check to make sure I didn't mess up.

  4. Thanks, Eric! That's a... uh... whale of a story. :)

  5. Yes, a whale of a story, but bang up to date :)

  6. Dunno Bob ... I thought it was a bit on the nose myself :)

  7. no problem Eric I do it all the time. Probably why I noticed.

  8. Clearly this is nature having her revenge on the Taiwanese for their whale shark hunting and such and such. Poetic justice.

  9. I'm Taiwanese, and I have never hunted whale shark.

  10. D'oh!

     

    Sorry, Eric. Didn't mean to offend anyone. Hell, I'm Swedish, and there's no point in denying Swedish weapons are being used in many wars, even though Sweden remains hypocritically neutral. And then there is the cheezy Swedish music.

     

    In no way did I mean to imply that all Taiwanese are responsible for the whale shark hunting done by some. I just think the incident was funny enough since nobody got hurt. I'm gonna hold it there, and apologize again, before I make things worse trying to make them better.

  11. That's ok. No offense taken. Well, initially, I was offended. But it's easy to be offended by text on a screen, with no context or clues from the style of delivery. :D

     

    I'm really American, but I have Taiwanese roots and mixed culture. I must also confess that I do feel a twinge of ... shame (?) or embarrassment every time the subject of shark finning comes up, simply because I am Asian. yeah. It's not a justifiable feeling, but it's there. I evangelize a lot to everyone about the evils of shark finning, and I'm happy to say that I have convinced some fin-eaters to stop. Everything helps, I guess.

  12. As a European, or rather a member of the rich world, I can also feel shame for the unjustices of the world and the destruction of the natural world. Sometimes, the feeling of shame is eased by pointing ones finger west, to the other side of the Atlantic. This once I guess I pointed east.

     

    Good to hear you've done some convincing!

     

    Paul

  13. exploding whale video

    Yes, straight from the era of sideburns, avocado-colored furniture, super-8 film and 8-track, comes this grainy, camera-shaky, kitschy news footage of highway workers in Oregon attempting to discard of a beached gray whale by blowing it to bits with dynamite.

     

    Watch the awful offal fly.

     

    All rights not reserved....

     

    http://www.howeird.com/whale.html

  14. Now that was a hoot :!: :!: :!:

  15. Oh yes, the exploding whale! One of the most "wonderful" events us Oregonians have to brag about. Because in Oregon, we don't fin sharks... we blow up whales! :D

     

    The definitive Exploding Whale website

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.