Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus 5050 vs. Nikon Coolpix 5000?

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus 5050 vs. Nikon Coolpix 5000?

10 posts
  1. Olympus 5050 vs. Nikon Coolpix 5000?

    The title pretty much says it. There are obviously a lot of 5050 users; I assume this is in part due to the variety of housing available for the Oly vs. the Nikon.

     

    Say either is going into an L&M Tetra housing so all things with the housing and strobes are equal.

     

    What camera do think is better underwater? Why??

  2. TTL

    Is it an issue for you?

     

    If it is, the optical TTL system used on the 5050 is much more accurate than the psuedo ttl used on the Nikon CP5k & Tetra.

     

    Can you still get a coolpix 5000?

     

    Look into battery life and write speeds as well.

  3. There is no answer for this popular question.

     

    The Olympus series are by far the most popular cameras for underwater use. Olympus has done a good job of providing excellent cameras and an inexpensive and capable housing that has allowed those interested in UW photography to get a complete system for several hundreds of dollars cheaper than other brand cameras.

     

    In the right hands, both cameras yield excellent results. I would challenge anyone to champion one as the best. They both deliver excellent results.

     

    I chose the cp5000 over a year ago for several main reasons:

     

    1. wider lens........28 vs 35

    2. wired strobes vs. fiber optic or wireless

    3. macro to 3/4" without add-on lens

    4. already had a 4040 and the 5050 wasn't out yet

     

    The cp5000 was out almost a year before the 5050 was introduced. The 5050's feature list now matches the cp5000 and has better battery life.

     

    I believe both cameras are out of production, but many are still available. The newer digicams are being introduced with features that aren't improvements for underwater use.

     

    A problem for a new buyer.

     

    Like I said, there isn't an answer to this question. You'll be happy with either system in my opinion.

     

    Karl

  4. Good answer Karl, echos my thoughts as well.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. 1.     wider lens........28 vs 35

    2.     wired strobes vs. fiber optic or wireless

    3.     macro to 3/4" without add-on lens

    4.     already had a 4040 and the 5050 wasn't out yet

     

     

     

    1. Wider lens only helps if you don't use a wide converter lens, and you should for good wide angle results.

     

    2. This is mostly a function of the housing and strobes. Both cameras can be used either way.

     

    3. The 5050's supermacro mode give comparable macro performance.

     

    I've never shot a CP5000, but had a chance to compare notes with Todd on our Manado trip. Here's what I think are the advantages of the 5050 in addition to ones mentioned by Ryan.

     

    1) Histogram displayed over the image for quick check of exposure right after the shot.

     

    2) "My mode" settings on the 5050 let's you switch from macro to wideangle mode with a couple of button pushes.

     

    On the down side, I hate the thumb wheel on the 5050. Especially where you have to hold down a button and turn the wheel at the same time to change aperture.

  6. Where did the subject line go?

    Why does the subject line not show up in replies?

     

    in my previous post, it should have read TTL?

     

    I didn't mean to come across as a smart ass, but without the subject line, it sure sounds like I did.

     

    Herb makes a great point about the jog wheel, although it is handled much better on the Tetra 5050 than the PT-015.

  7. On the down side, I hate the thumb wheel on the 5050. Especially where you have to hold down a button and turn the wheel at the same time to change aperture.

     

    Does the Ikelite 5050 housing address this issue with a stay depressed button?

  8. Herb, I don't disagree with your comments, but I'm trying to give a new buyer the whole picture.

     

    I've tried real hard not to make this into a Nikon vs. Olympus thread and that 's still my intention. I don't care which brand you choose. I'm just trying to make people aware that it's the "indian" and not the "arrow" that makes for great UW images.

     

    Part of my point is that the cp5000 was introduced almost a year ahead of the Oly c5050.....of course the c5050 features have caught up with and some have surpassed those of the cp5000, but the core features for good underwater photography remain the same...........in my opinion, wider is better............with or without an add-on WA lens

     

    Of course, these are my opinions. I still prefer a CFWA that shows the subject plus habitat instead of "who can get the closest" mentality which seems to be the current rage.

     

    Just buy something and start working. You'll want something different in a year or two anyway.

     

    Karl

  9. Karl,

     

    I don't disagree with your choice. The CP5000 was definitely ahead of the Olympus cameras at the time it came out. I tend to think of the two and a few others as different wrappers around the same Sony chip, especially if you put them inside Tetra housings. The bottom line is that your photographs will probably come out about the same with either choice.

  10. Great info, like so many things you really can't go wrong either way.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.